Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New MM Group

Terry

Here is a picture of a new acquisition.James Nicholson joined the 40th Bn.,CEF, in 1915. He served in the 13th Bn (Royal Highlanders) in France before transferring to the 1st Engineer Bn.,CE.

Nicholson was awarded the Military Medal in Divisional Routine Order 24 Sept.,1918. The medal group comes with his Service at the Front pin, a Birks stirling spoon with the Black Watch crest, and his discharge document. On the latter is the number for his service pin which matches the actual pin in the group. I am awaiting the arrival of his service file and medal citation page.

post-23-1091218646.jpg

Terry

Nice little group the toning on the medals is great just the way I like them. I have not seem a MM group to a Nova Scotian in a couple of years. I assume you know he went over with the 1st renforcing draft I have a couple myself they were the only lot of the 40th that could be entilted to the 1914-15 Star.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Congratulations Terry. I think the CE, CFA, and CAMC MM's are under-rated. The soldiers who earned them did so in circumstances that were as trying as the infantry.

Nice looking group Terry. I agree with Bill, medals to the CE, CFA, and CAMC are under-rated.

Some of my most facinating groups belong to the CE and CFA.

Good to hear from you fellows. As a gunner myself I must agree. The gunners and engineers were very often in the thick of things. I can recall my father, who as an NCO spent quite some time as a member of OP parties in Italy, having some interesting adventures.

Excellent group, one possibly stupid question, was the service at the front pin something issued or brought and was it exculsive to the CEF?

Ali

Hi Ali,

It was a CEF award. Besides the well known Silver War Badge there were a series of other badges, including this Service At The Front award. another for those who were exempt,etc. There was a good book done on the subject "Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954" by Robbie Johnson in 1995.

Cheers from Canada,

Terry