Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial

glasgow

Can anyone tell me where the Memorial sits in relation to the fron line on 1 July 1916.

Does it sit on the location of the Wunderwork or the Leipzig Redoubt or somewhere else? Your help will be appreciated

Andy

Hello, Andy,

The site of the Thiepval Memorial is fairly close to both these places. The memorial itself is roughly on the site of the old Thiepval Chateau. The Wonder Work (also marked on maps as the Wundt Werk) was about a quarter of a mile south of the Thiepval Memorial and the Leipzig Salient was just under half a mile south-west of that. I would post a picture of a map showing them, but my scanner is bust. Perhaps another pal will be able to oblige.

Tom

The memorial itself is roughly on the site of the old Thiepval Chateau.

I am sorry to disagree, Tom, but that is not correct.

The chateau was located close to the 18th (Eastern) Division memorial, in a grassed over field between it and the 1920s farm, and almost directly opposite one of the entrances to the new visitor's centre car park.

If you have a copy of Walking The Somme you will see a 1916 aerial photo of Thiepval village on which this is clearly visible.

It is indeed true the memorial is in the chateau grounds, but not on the site of the building itself.

The chateau was located close to the 18th (Eastern) Division memorial, in a grassed over field between it and the 1920s farm, and almost directly opposite one of the entrances to the new visitor's centre car park.

You are absolutely correct, Paul, and this is what I meant to convey when I used the word "roughly" - I was thinking of the wartime map which I am unable to scan, which has the Wundt Werk, the Leipzig Salient and the chateau marked but not, of course, the Memorial. In these terms I thought that my "roughly" would do. I was also taking care not to suggest that the Memorial was built over the ruins of the chateau, as some sources state. I'm sorry if I seemed to suggest this very thing myself!

(Of course I have the book - doesn't everyone??)

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Simon Bull

I am aware that I am taking this thread off at something of a tangent. However, I wondered if someone could tell me why the 18th (Eastern) Division Memorial is at Thiepval.

Guest Simon Bull

Thank you Paul. The reason for my interest is that I have been researching soldiers who were in the 18th Division, but, sadly, they were dead by September 1916.

If you have a copy of Walking The Somme you will see a 1916 aerial photo of Thiepval village on which this is clearly visible.

It is indeed true the memorial is in the chateau grounds, but not on the site of the building itself.

Isn't the current farm built upon the foundations of the old chateau?

I recall reading (or being told) that when the farm was built, it used the remains of the chateau for its foundation.

Ken

The farm is slight to the right of the building, if standing on the Thiepval ridge looking towards Thiepval Wood. It is possible the farm was built on part of the structure, but I have never seen any reference to this.