Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Info please

Boreenatra

Does any one out there have any info on Frederick C. Dumbrell 40436 of the R.F.A.All we know is that he was a driver.Thanks in advance.Regards Steve.

I found this on the 1901 census-could this be your man and family?

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Frederick Dumbrell 33 Bermondsey, London, England Head Southwark St George the Martyr London

Frederick Dumbrell 5 Bermondsey, London, England Son Southwark St George the Martyr London

Jane Dumbrell 34 Bermondsey, London, England Wife Southwark St George the Martyr London

William Dumbrell 1 Bermondsey, London, England Son Southwark St George the Martyr London

Dear Tim. Thanks for the reply.We are planning to go to the N.A. in a couple of weeks time so we will check this out.Just a couple of other points,do you know when medals were actually issued i.e. over 6 months/a year after WW1 or over a longer period of time?,and i've asked this before but was there a maximum age for enlisting or entering a theatre of war etc. Also to Gordon,did you have an Ada Dumbrell listed on the Census info you had? Regards both.Steve

In my experience many service medals were not issued until about 1921/22. I think the minimum enlistment age was usually 18 however many men fibbed about their age and joined up early.

Tim D

Steve:

Here's all the Ada Dumbrell's listed on the 1901:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/

Ada Dumbrell 13 Eccles, Kent, England Visitor Aylesford Kent

Ada Dumbrell 31 East Malling, Kent, England Wife Wouldham Kent

Ada Dumbrell 3 Bermondsey, London, England Daughter Southwark St George the Martyr London

Ada Dumbrell 9 Hove, Sussex, England Daughter Hove Sussex

Ada Ivan Dumbrell 7 Swadling Cote, Derbyshire, England Daughter Worth Sussex

Steve: Looks like the Ada Dumbrell, age:3, is your's!

Dear Tim/Gordon. Thanks for your replies.My question about enlistment was about a maximum age.Our man we are researching,Pte John Guerins was 46 in 1915.Was that considered "old" at that time?.Any thoughts welcome.Regards Steve.P.S.Thanks for the Dumbrell stuff.Right man but at this time we can't make a family connection.