Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
doogal

Signatures for medals

doogal

Hi,

A brief, and hopefully straightforward question: when medals were sent out, if no signature could be obtained, would the medals be returned, and would the signature have to be by the known/declared relative of the soldier (if he had been KIA).

I recall reading on the one MIC I have looked at, that it stated "not signed for", or "no signature obtained".

rgds

doogal

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Medals were sent by registered post so had to be signed for. There was also a receipt with them which had to be signed and returned to the War Office and these you often see in service records.

Ian

HarryBettsMCDCM
Hi,

A brief, and hopefully straightforward question: when medals were sent out, if no signature could be obtained, would the medals be returned, and would the signature have to be by the known/declared relative of the soldier (if he had been KIA).

I recall reading on the one MIC I have looked at, that it stated "not signed for", or "no signature obtained".

rgds

doogal

Unlike today when {if your lucky}the Postman/Woman puts a card through your leterbox if your not "in" for Recorded & Registered{Special Delivery}items,The GPO would have brought the Packet out Three times for signature{without being asked} before returning to sender{up to the 1980s too!}It should be signed for by the Addressee{as today},but I expect that would have depended on how well the Postman knew the recipients of the Package @ the intended address,as to wether he accepted a proxy signator

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Proxy signatures were accepted - the well known '14' year old casualty, John Condon, His NoK was his father, but his BWM & Victory, addressed to his father were signed for by a brother.