Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Cathy

Incomplete Regt Number

Cathy

I have a MIC image but the Regiment Number is incomplete (229) because the card has been photographed badly. The person - F ARCHER (Fred) - date of entry 9/05/15 to what I think reads 9/manch R, presume 9th Manchester Regiment served in first theatre of war ?? Balkan? His discharged date is also chopped off 26/2/1 His grandson tells me he continued to serve after the war.

It says he was awarded 15 star. Would he have been awarded anything else and should I be looking for another card?

Was hoping for his Regt No to search for service records. Any advice as to where to go/what to do next much appreciated.

Cathy

hmsk212

Hi Cathy

Your next step would be to get his War & Victory Medal Roll using the codes on the Medal Index Card. This should then give you his full number and usually also gives his date of discharge unless he stayed in the Army after about 1922/23. If the card only shows his 1914/15 Star details try looking up the Roll for that and that should also confirm his full regimental number.

Steve

steve fuller

Hi Cathy

Im looking into a Beds man who served in Gallipoli, so may be able to point you in a direction if nothing else!

First, have you read this site? theres buckets of info on here alone that will help identify what you should be looking at. Well worth the look.

The 1915 Star was awarded to troops ready for service by 2/2/15, and the write up on this site sugegsts he was Territorial Force before the war (as my guy was). ?? Balkans could be 2b Balkans, which means Gallipoli. If he was there, the British withdrew in Dec 1915, and I understand that the level of illnesses was heavier than wounds, so could have been Ill and / or wounded. Egypt and Palestine were also in Brtitish 'theatres' in WW1, so may have been there (sorry!).

He should have earned more medals Id have thought, but thats just an opinion! Victory Medal and British Was Medal sem to be the usual ones.

He'd have had his No changed in 1917 (if still in service, which may be the case on the outside) to a 6 figure one, and any discharge no is usually a 7 fig one (I believe, mine didnt get to be discharged, so not 100% on that subject!).

I believe that aonly around 10% of Service records are 'findable' so dont get too excited about that yet :huh: but theres local papers and all sorts to look at for more info.

Hope this helps if nothing else!!

Steve

Cathy

Thank you Steve and Steve.

Did you mean the roll number? There is H/1/15B page 2. Can I find any other cards online from this number? If so, how do I search?

Cheers,

Cathy.

steve fuller

Sorry I dont have my notes on me, so may be wrong with the detail, but think thats the reference to Medal Rolls or similar.

I have 2 sheets and a Medal Index Card. Theres a 'Roll of Individuals' thats a list of people within each Regmnt with some info like service numbers, their fate and other snippets like that. Theres also a list with medal entitlements, but cant pin the name of it down at mo; believe its 'Individuals entitled to ... (medals)'? Similar info to that on the MIC from memory and also has 10 men per page, so you'll find yourself looking at the other guys around your man too and wandering all sorts about them! They'd have probably joined together or very close to each other, especially if he was TF pre war. Could have become friends even ...

Anyway, got mine by payng Chris Baker (aka 'God', or boss of this site) to research the PRO for me, but theres a few around the forum I believe?

Best of luck to you Cathy

Steve 2 :D

hmsk212
There is H/1/15B page 2. Can I find any other cards online from this number? If so, how do I search?

Cheers,

Cathy.

Hi Cathy

Yes that is the reference number I was asking about, this will give his 1914/15 Star details and should then lead to getting his complete service number. No, you cannot access this on-line at the moment. I am going to Kew tomorrow and if (and only if) I have any time left after my own researches I will try to look the roll up for you, but absolutely no promises.

Steve (1)

hmsk212

Cathy

I managed to have a look at the 1914/15 Star Roll for the 9th Manchester Regiment and the details are :-

2201 Private Archer F Date of disembarkation 09/05/1915 2B

Discharged 26/02/1917

I also looked at the mic at Kew and you can see that the number is 2201 although the last digit is faint. Where they get 229 from I don't know. There must be another mic for him somewhere as this only has his 14/15 Star on it but even using his number and not his name on the on-line lists nothing remotely like it turns up.

I think your next step will be to get hold of a Manchester Regiment buff from this forum and see if they can advise you. The main aim would be to find out what his later & longer Regimental Number was and then check out the mics once again.

Steve

Cathy

Thanks Steve (1) for checking this out for me. Really appreciate your help.

Will follow your suggestions.

Cathy.