Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Unluckiest Soldier of WW1?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

Thanks for verifying that. Richard Absolon was from Weybridge and the info I quoted came from the local paper last year.

Ian

:)

Hi, First post and off thread.

Richard Absolon's family emigrated to New Zealand where he attended my old school, Rangitikei College in Marton.

He later returned to the UK and enlisted in the British Army. I was not aware he was the last British casulty in the Falklands War

Hi, First post and off thread.

Richard Absolon's family emigrated to New Zealand where he attended my old school, Rangitikei College in Marton.

He later returned to the UK and enlisted in the British Army. I was not aware he was the last British casulty in the Falklands War

He wasn't. Far from it (see my earlier posts about him in this thread). There was more dying to be done after Richard was killed.

Dave.

He wasn't. Far from it (see my earlier posts about him in this thread). There was more dying to be done after Richard was killed.

Dave.

Maybe the real unlucky men are those who recieved telegrams on Nov 11th telling them wives or children had died of flu

• 12 years later...
On 28/03/2003 at 21:01, Guest Ian Bowbrick said:

Flipping through some records today at the PRO I came across the following record:

26993 Pte J W Roberts Coldstream Guards

07 Jul 1918: Called up

01 Nov 1918: Embarked Folkstone

05 Nov 1918: Arrived Base Depot

08 Nov 1918: Joined 3rd Battalion

10 Nov 1918: Gun Shot Wound - Groin! :blink:

11 Nov 1918...................

Ian :ph34r:

Very old thread ..

On 28/03/2003 at 21:01, Guest Ian Bowbrick said:

Flipping through some records today at the PRO I came across the following record:

26993 Pte J W Roberts Coldstream Guards

07 Jul 1918: Called up

01 Nov 1918: Embarked Folkstone

05 Nov 1918: Arrived Base Depot

08 Nov 1918: Joined 3rd Battalion

10 Nov 1918: Gun Shot Wound - Groin! :blink:

11 Nov 1918...................

Ian :ph34r:

I'm going to revive this old thread and look into this wound, so to speak...

On 29/03/2003 at 05:29, ianw said:

I think there was a Canadian sniped at 10.55 AM on 11.11.18. Was that German sniper just plain mean or putting in a full days work for a full days pay. I suspect a combination of both. I hope the rest of that sniper's life was suitably miserable.

Know this is an old Topic but thought I would comment on Ian's post --

The last Canadian KIA was Pte George Lawrence Price of the 28th Batt'n CEF.    He was shot in the left breast by a German sniper as he stepped out of house into the street, time being 10.58 on 11 Nov.  Soldiers of the 28th & 31st Batt'n CEF were clearing houses along the Canal du Centre, facing Ville-sur-Haine, close to Mons, following the retreating Germans .  Pte Price is buried in St Symphorien military cemetery.

Thats a good project you have set yourself Coldstreamer,

Thanks, Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

The Coldstreamer received his wound whilst the battalion was in billets at Sevigny. Unlucky, probably more careless

Not to sound derogatory at all Coldstreamer, but possibly due to drinking as well, at end of hostilities those soldiers would be grateful they survived & likely wanted to do some celebrating.  I dont expect they would have much difficulty acquiring local liquor either. Weapons & booze dont mix that great!

Wonder if they were aware of the Influenza epidemic just getting going at that time? As a poster mentioned above, there was still a lot of dying to happen.