Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Ypres Zonnebeke map/ariel photos offered

WilliamRev

I have offered these items elsewhere on the forum in the past 18 months, and around a dozen forum members have so far taken me up on the offer, but I am repeating the offer here for people searching the forum in the future.

Background: my grandfather, (then Acting) Captain Stuart Revels commanded "A" Company 1st battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, 8th Brigade, Third Division, in the phase of 3rd Battle of Ypres on the 26th-28th September 1917 when the Third Division took the village of Zonnebeke. He was one of only four (out of twenty) officers in the battalion not wounded/killed, and he kept the map that he carried in the battle plus several aeriel photos (taken in the previous week or so) that the company commanders were issued with, as souvenirs.

The map has different/more details than the one in the National Archives at Kew (in the 8th Brigade War Diary) and I haven't come across another quite the same, so may be of interest to forum members interested in this phase of 3rd Ypres.

I have not come across exact duplicates of the photos anywhere else, but it may well be that they exist in archives somewhere or possibly not; but they are fascinating anyway...

I am happy to e-mail scans of the map (it comes in six parts), plus the three aeriel photos, to any forum member who e-mails me at: william@williamrevels.com - don't PM me through the forum please (because I don't always get the message, and in any case the images are far too large to send through the forum).

Best wishes

William

I am happy to send scans of the map (it comes in six parts), plus the three ariel photos, to any forum member who e-mails me at: william@williamrevels.com - don't PM me through the forum please (because I don't always get the message, and in any case the images are far too large to send through the forum).

Best wishes

William

Thanks for the photos William , much appreciated.

John

Thank you William. Nice angled aerial shots of Zonnebeke and more detail on the trench maps

Andy

:rolleyes:

Hi thanks for the maps and photos will look into the surname connection and get back to you

Warren

In memory of Captain Stuart Revels, 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, 8th Brigade, 3rd Division, I would like to say a huge thank you to his grandson, William, for sending the maps and attachments to me so speedily and with such generosity. Your grandfather would be proud of you, William. Many thanks for your kindness. xxx

• Admin

I also want to add my sincere thanks to William for his generosity. I can't say it better than RBK1's post but I will take time out the next time I'm in the area to pause and remember Capt Stuart Revels and his men.

Glen

William,

thank You for the maps and the fotos!!!

regards,

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...

It is a pleasure to be able to share these images with people who find them of use and interest. So far I have e-mailed these to around 20 forum members - the offer still stands for anyne who wants to e-mail me.

Best wishes

William

A thank you to William. Most interesting.

Roger