Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'CHINESE ATTACKS'

GRANVILLE

Have just come across reference to these in Peter Barton's superb book, Battlefields of WW1. The subject is illustrated but not clearly explained as far as I can tell. I've put the subject here because the key ingredient of a 'Chinese Attack' appears to be numerous very realistic looking 'cardboard cut-outs' (I appreciate they will be cut from timber sheet). It's clear from the book that their use was part of a deception technique, but I wonder if someone would like to expound in some more detail on how they were actually used and to what effect?

Dave Upton

Hi Dave. from Bewsher's 51st Div History

28/7/1917 " A Chinese attack was carried out at 5 a.m. by the Divisional artillery. A Chinese attack consists in passing a moving 18-pounder barrage across the enemy's

trenches exactly as if an attack had begun, except that no infantry take part. The troops in the front line make a considerable noise and hoist dummies on to the fire-step. The German sentries then give the alarm, and as soon as the barrage has passed the garrisons leave their shelters and man their fire-steps. The barrage is then suddenly brought back on to the trenches, and is upon the Germans before they have time to regain their shelters. This is excellent medicine, and after he has been treated to a Chinese attack two or three times, the enemy rather hesitates to man his fire-steps immediately the barrage has passed. Thus, when the day of attack arrives, our infantry, if they can keep close on the heels of the barrage, have an excellent opportunity of " chopping him in cover." The exposure of the dummies, which have the appearance of troops mounting the parapet, also compels him to disclose the position of his machine-guns, which he normally keeps secret until an infantry attack has begun. "

mike

Thanks for this, which is pretty much how I rather thought it might have been. On the above link, if you look at post #9 you'll see the illustration which Peter Barton has used, but reproduced much larger so you can make out the detail better and this then becomes much more obvious. Another photo Peter uses shows stacks and stacks of these millboard figures waiting to be built into the sets of three as illustrated. This was obviously no 5 minute exercise and should not be confused with tin hats on poles or scarecrow-like figures being used to try and deceive; -a proper 'Chinese Attack' must have been a seriously involved exercise.

Thanks again.

Dave

• 7 years later...

Fascinating and thanks for posting.

David