Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CFS Upavon

I have photographs of the first and third Pilots Course held at Upavon but would like to know if other early course photographs are available anywhere online.

I have photographs of the first and third Pilots Course held at Upavon but would like to know if other early course photographs are available anywhere online.

Hi John,

A 'Booty Rotorhead' eh? ;-)

Very interested in any Upavon graphics as I am researching Major Arthur Keen MC. He was 'rested' there with the Air Fighting School during August '17 - May 1918. I would appreciate a perspective on the flight sheds, training wing, accommodation etc. This is about all (IWM) I have at the mo'.

20120109-mp426db4f2p58h1u7q95s2riji.jpg

• 3 years later...

A rather nice "Old original antique Victorian print 1916 War Flying Men Aviation School Upavon" (sic) is on offer on

eBay

Our moderators have cautioned us about expressing doubts about vendors' descriptions, but I hope that I might be allowed to point out that the Victorian age ended in 1901.

In reality, the antique print is a page from the Graphic of July 8, 1916. The cartoon at bottom right is unfortunate in that a year before Captain Arthur Soames, head of the the CFS experimental department, had been killed near Figheldean (for miles to the south of the CFS) when he was testing a new type of bomb.

Moonraker

I may be interested in having a look at the photographs you have available. I'm a volunteer for the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection which does cover some early aviation on Salisbury Plain. Are you local to Wiltshire, or?

Tim

A rather nice "Old original antique Victorian print 1916 War Flying Men Aviation School Upavon" (sic) is on offer on

eBay

Our moderators have cautioned us about expressing doubts about vendors' descriptions, but I hope that I might be allowed to point out that the Victorian age ended in 1901.

In reality, the antique print is a page from the Graphic of July 8, 1916. The cartoon at bottom right is unfortunate in that a year before Captain Arthur Soames, head of the the CFS experimental department, had been killed near Figheldean (for miles to the south of the CFS) when he was testing a new type of bomb.

Moonraker

Was Soames flying when he was killed? Did the bomb kill him ?

No, he wasn't flying. He was testing a new type of bomb on the ground in Wig Wood, near Figheldean. A 100-yard wire connected the bomb with a switch, but when the latter was operated, a fragment of the 500-pound bomb hit Soames; he was taken to Netheravon military hospital with terrible injuries from which he died.

Another version was given in the report into the inquest into his death in the Salisbury Journal:

Captain Soames, of the King’s Own Hussars, attached to the Flying School, and others were engaged testing high pressure bombs by means of fuses near Beach’s Barn, Fittleton. The fuse was ignited, and Captain Soames took refuge behind a tree, fully 90 yards away, but a portion of the projectile struck him, causing fatal injuries. Verdict: accidental death.

Curiously, Beach's Barn is two miles from Wig Wood (marked on some maps as the Wig).

A casual Google produces no other claims as to the exact location, but led to this: "Arthur Henry Soames, recipient of the Military Cross, flew to France in August 1914 as part of the first ever deployment of British warplanes over the English Channel". He's mentioned in passing in this

2004 thread

(As an aside, BBC Radio's Any Questions was recently broadcast from Figheldean, with Jonathan Dimbleby explaining that the village name is pronounced "Filedean".)

Moonraker