Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Regulations para 392 xvi

Justinth

Hello everybody

I have just very kindly had replies on Robert Gilchrist Allan RAMC 4934 (my wife's great grandfather on the Soldiers thread) which indicates that as far as Kew/Ancestry goes there is no further to go at the moment. This leads me to the question of King's Regulations and the timeline for discharge in 1915 which I would be very grateful if I could ask for replies from the vast knowledge and expertise that is represented in this forum.

In 1915 if you were discharged due to sickness under paragraph 392 xvi of King's Regulations (Robert Gilchrist Allan RAMC 4934 arrived in France on 5th January 1915 and was discharged 26th June 1915):

1) What was the standard process for deciding to discharge a soldier (in the case of my wife's great-grandfather he was probably discharged due to chlorine gas damage to his lungs, so he must have been injured from the 22nd April 1915 onwards)?

2) Would the discharge normally be decided by an officer in theatre or the UK?

3) Was there a standard time period (number of weeks) betweeen the injury and discharge?

I know there is a real possibility that every discharge was different in terms of timing.

I am very grateful for any advice that can be offered

Thanks

Justin

Generally, the decision was made by Medical Board which examined the man's case when he was in the UK. There seems very little pattern to the time between the man being wounded/falling ill and his eventual discharge. I have seen cases varying from a couple of days to more than two years.

Generally, the decision was made by Medical Board which examined the man's case when he was in the UK. There seems very little pattern to the time between the man being wounded/falling ill and his eventual discharge. I have seen cases varying from a couple of days to more than two years.

Chris

Thank you for the very prompt reply. This leads me back to the RAMC Medical History and looking at the evacuation chain back to Britain.

Thanks

Justin

A man whos service record i looked at yesterday suffered concussion and was discharged by a medical board 8 months after the injury.I think a reasonable time was given if there was a chance of recovery and reviewed by a board then.john