Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just brought first medals.

steve chilton

Hi,

well, having followed most of the threads on this forum and reading about medals and their research I have just splashed out £26.50 on e-bay for 5 named victory medals with original ribbons (assuming seller isnt telling porkies, no reason to believe he isnt). Will have to face the missus when I get home!!

Anyway, I fully intend to blame you medal buffs on this forum if I get any grief.

I suppose I will have to keep my eyes open for the BWMs to try and match up the groups etc, I know, but sometimes miracles do happen.

Dont worry, I havent got deep pockets so wont be a threat to you serious medal collectors.

Steve Chilton

Steve

It sounds like a great deal to me even if they are replacement ribbons. What else can you buy for 26 quid that will give you so much pleasure in finding out about the guys.

Happy researching

Mick

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi,

well, having followed most of the threads on this forum and reading about medals and their research I have just splashed out £26.50 on e-bay for 5 named victory medals with original ribbons (assuming seller isnt telling porkies, no reason to believe he isnt). Will have to face the missus when I get home!!

Anyway, I fully intend to blame you medal buffs on this forum if I get any grief.

I suppose I will have to keep my eyes open for the BWMs to try and match up the groups etc, I know, but sometimes miracles do happen.

Dont worry, I havent got deep pockets so wont be a threat to you serious medal collectors.

Steve Chilton

I saw those medals - please post what the names and units are when you get them out of interest.

Ian :)

Ian,

Not a problem, will post as soon as I get them.

Steve Chilton

From Little Acorns Mighty Oaks Do Grow!~ In 40 Years Time Who Will You Be Blaming???Welcome To The Insane World Of Medal Collecting :blink:

welcome to the madhouse!

enoch

I will echo the remarks of the other medal fanatics on the forum. Welcome!

You can always be surprised at the treasures that surface from time to time. Last night on ebay I won a pair to the 16th Canadian Battalion. At first glance "just" a pair, to a late war MSA conscript, but luckily I had a copy of the regimental history, and the fellow was wounded and captured on 1 Oct.,1918. This makes the ninth POW group to the CEF in my collection, and a real find. POW groups are considerably more scarce than KIA groups.

Steve let me stress there is still time to get away. Think about it more money in your bank account, maybe a nicer car, an investment portfolio, decent vacations. Think about what you're giving up before you start chasing little pieces of metal and the people who earned them!

You have been warned.

Neil,

to late, I have just written the cheque out........ had to do it before the missus gets home from work. ;)

Steve Chilton

The addiction begins!! :ph34r:

Seriously though it is a great hobby and i find it very rewarding. I am in the process of researching a 2nd Lieutenant who was shot through the chest in May 1915 and invalided out. It is turning out to be a very tragic story.

Have fun collecting!

Thanks to all, I think I got away with it, even got her to post the cheque!!! Suppose she's not a bad lass, bless. I suppose the next step is to get a pair, then a trio, I dont think my pockets are deep enough for a gallantry set, but you never know, lets see what I can find at car boots etc.

Thanks again

Steve Chilton

The addiction begins!!
I suppose the next step is to get a pair, then a trio,

See what i mean?!!

Thanks to all, I think I got away with it, even got her to post the cheque!!! Suppose she's not a bad lass, bless. I suppose the next step is to get a pair, then a trio

Steve Chilton

No Steve

Your next step is to do what I do, get her indoors to help you research them. It gives her some added interest in your new hobby and is very useful should you accidentaly spend next weeks shopping allowance on a nice trio. ;)

Steve

Hi,

Well, got the medals today, the recipients are as follows for any who are interested:-

212646 Gnr FT Bacon, RA

1977 Spr R Gibson, RE

T4-056000 Dvr S Herrington, ASC

T1-3561 Dvr C Hourahane, ASC

607116 Gnr HCT Pike, RA

Have had a quick look and cannot find any of them on CWGC for info. I will have to look up their MIC's when I get the chance.

Steve Chilton