Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MILITARY MEDAL SITATION

2li

:poppy: Dear Members

can anyone help me with a quiry regarding a MM. awarded to Sgt. Frederick Jenkins, 6393, 7th King's Shropshire L.I.,

I have looked in the Regimental History but nothing mentioned regarding how it was one, only mentioned in back as a MM. Winner. what I would love to find out is how and when he won this medal, and were he came only ref to that is Smethwick, His medal was gazzeted on 28 January 1918, could there be somewere a newspaper reporting his deed of valour

any help much appriciated

PHILIP M.

post-38637-0-16823000-1325960155.jpg

post-38637-0-55304900-1325960335.jpg

Hi Phil

How you doing. I am sure you know this but M.M. citations are hard to find, well I find then hard to come across, out of the 500 + K.S.L.I. men who were awarded them I only know about how a dozen won theirs, were as I now have the D.C.M. citation. Anyway good luck hope you find out some info.

Annette

:poppy: Hello Annette

I took up your advice and joined the forum, best thing I have done so many helpfull people, gained more info on some of the soldiers commemorated on my war memorial, so thanks again Annette.

ps pitty about info on Frederick Jenkins

all the best PHIL

• 5 years later...

Hello All

Regards to my search for a MM citation for Frederick Jenkins 6393 King's Shropshire L.I., I have found the following can any one confirm it is my man, one or two thing's dont had up

regards to medals and entry in France, but all other information seem to point to it being the man who's medals I have, 

any thing any one can do to help further will be much appriciated

PHILIP 

59b405e1f0a90_JenkinsF_6393.JPG.121cf66806afdfbaf3c7249a03b1a782.JPG

59b40650578af_FREDERICKJENKINSMIC.jpg.43d41cca44482c406734f93d81b00ef5.jpg

59b4065d8d433_FrederickJenkinsMM_KSLI.jpg.b339b36abe1f837738c6f44dad0a901c.jpg

59b406eec38fe_gb0817-00236(1).jpg.25c46380c5b9013e95d3f53d2387e24f.jpg

gb0817-00236.jpg.7136b3269912dbe8e9320808e66f635f.jpg

I would always urge caution about the accuracy of anything in the National Roll. It is littered with absolute tosh. For example, in his entry it notes he took part in the Battle of Mons, yet did not go overseas until February 1915.

What I suggest you do is find the entry in the London Gazette (you'll be able to search that on his service number). Military Medal awards were usually published there about three months after the event. Once you've found that, you can check the war diary (on Ancestry or the National Archives website), going back to the likely period and see if there was an event which might confirm the National Roll story.

Thanks John and ray for reply

the only link I can see is that both London Gazette and the National Roll both state Smethwick, also looking in the Shropshire Regimental History Great War, only one man with the name F Jenkins won the MM, 

Also I have the following snip it, but cannot confirm

Philip

JENKINS F 6393 7/BN KSLI MM L/GAZ 28.1.18.  AWARD FOR YPRES LATE SEPTEMBER /OCTOBER 1917 PASSCHENDAELE RIDGE . 7/KSLI SERVED IN 8TH BRIGADE 3RD DIV. IN ACTION YPRES 22 TO 25TH SEPT 17 BATTLE OF MENIN ROAD RIDGE AND 26TH TO 30TH SEPT 17 AT POLYGON WOOD.

As I indicated, a Gazette entry in 1/18 is entirely consistent with the action being in the autumn of 1917. Everything looks like you have your man. As mentioned, the war diary probably has further detail about the September actions.

Thanks John

I will take a look at the 7th K.S.L.I. War Diary for the dates

Philip

John

Again a big thank you for your help and advise

I will start my search and get back to you

PHILIP

I hope this is helpful. I found it on the British Medal Forum.

ATB,

Lars

Birmingham Mail - Tuesday 21 May 1918

"LOCAL HEROES.

Sergeant F. Jenkins, K.S.L.I., Middlemore Road, Smethwick, who has been awarded the Military Medal, was called up as a reservist at the outbreak of war having served 12 years with the colours, all foreign service. He went through the Boer War and was afterwards employed at the Austin Motor Works. He has been wounded twice, gassed, and buried. He is at present home on leave. Sergeant Jenkins is well known in football circles, having formerly played for Dudley F.C. and the Austin Works Club.

Pte. W. Cater (19), Machine Gun Corps, son of Mrs. Cater, 67, St. Mary's Street, Ladywood, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry and devotion to duty during the recent fighting. The official report states:- "Pte Carter was one of a gun team in the front line. Although wounded he remained at his post and resisted an enemy attack. Later, when becoming weak from loss of blood and when ordered to report at the Aid Post, he volunteered to carry an important message to headquarters. At the time the enemy was concentrating his artillery fire on all approaches. Pte. Carter went through the shell fire and delivered his message, an example of courage and sheer determination. 

Private Arthur Averill, of Wolseley Bridge, Rugeley, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field."

Lars

You are a star

Finally I have a newspaper confirmation of SGT F. Jenkins 6393 King's Shropshire L.I., winning the Military Medal

Thank you once again

PHILIP