Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt William England MM .Nothumberland Fusiliers

pdennis

Hi

I'm a new member to forum looking for information regarding 38431 Sgt William England MM.Northumberland fusiliers who is my wifes Grandfather . I have already obtained alot of info regarding his service but can't seem to find out how he won the MM . The info I have is William served with the 1st Battalion , his MM was Gazetted on 18th June 1917 which I believe indicates he won the medal at Arras April 1917 . I have got a copy of the Battalion war diaries but cannot find any mention of him in there . I have also contacted the Northumberland Fusiliers Museum who also found no records . I am now at a loss where to look next , as there is no knowledge in the family of how William came to be awarded this medal .

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum. I am pretty certain that you can get the info you require regarding William from the London Gazette website. www.london-gazette.co.uk. I find this site quite difficult, but, you never know a kind soul from the forum may help you if you cannot fathom it out.

Regards Frances

I already have a copy of the London Gazette page in which William was listed but it gives no details on reason the medal was awarded . I believe the citations were destroyed during WW2 so I may never find the details of how he won the medal but I just hope someone may have more detail or can point me in the right direction .

Many thanks for your reply .

Pete

• Admin

Pete

Have you checked the local paper ? You may find something in there about why he received the MM.

Michelle

Michelle

Not yet but I was only thinking about that very thing the other day . I've had a quick look to see if there is anything on line but found nothing yet . I think that could be my next step , to pay a visit to library or newspaper office .

Thanks

Pete

• 2 years later...
Guest smithkoyli

Hi

I'm a new member to forum looking for information regarding 38431 Sgt William England MM.Northumberland fusiliers who is my wifes Grandfather . I have already obtained alot of info regarding his service but can't seem to find out how he won the MM . The info I have is William served with the 1st Battalion , his MM was Gazetted on 18th June 1917 which I believe indicates he won the medal at Arras April 1917 . I have got a copy of the Battalion war diaries but cannot find any mention of him in there . I have also contacted the Northumberland Fusiliers Museum who also found no records . I am now at a loss where to look next , as there is no knowledge in the family of how William came to be awarded this medal .

hello l/cpl i have found a newspaper clipping about william england..."for volunteering to carry dispatches under enemy fire" ...its from the ashby de la zouch ,Leics newspaper...My grandad Smith was from ashby but joined the NF at 16...but ended up in the KOYLI...contact me and i can get this clipping copied and sent to you...regards

You will probably have all of the following, but here goes anyway;-

5/4761 L/Cpl William England, 1/5th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, enlisted 9/2/1916 - posted 1st Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(renumbered 38431) - Discharged from N.F. Depot 21/12/1918 under Kings Regulations Para 392(xvi)/Gun Shot Wound - Age 24yrs - Silver War Badge No.B/64983. As stated previously an M.M. winner.