Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black diamond worn on the sleeve for mourning

museumtom

I was wondering if there was an image anywhere of someone wearing a black diamond on the sleeve as a mark of mourning, either on the BDU or on a civilian jacket. I am trying to 'vintageify' an old jacket and I thought the old black diamond would look better than the black band.

Any help with this would be most helpful.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom,

As a child, I can clearly remember everyone in our town, both men and women, when a family member or friend passed away, wearing either a black fabric band around the top of the arm of their coat or jacket, or a small black fabric diamond which was probably 3 inches long, 1.1/2 inches wide and was attached to the upper arm of the coat or jacket.

This was probably worn at the funeral, and then for a period afterwards to show that person was in mourning. Today, I think neither the black band nor the black diamond is used.

Tom,

Here is a photograph of the funeral/mourning black armband in use.

It is very appropriate for this WW1 Forum, as the photograph shows " Several Princes of the House of Windsor following the Gun-Carriage bearing the coffin of Earl Haig on his last journey through London on February 3, 1928 "

post-63666-0-15933100-1325981865.jpg

Thank you Lancashire Fusiliers, I remember that also but I wanted to see the dimensions. Its a thing you don't see nowadays. You are a real gent, thank you.

Kind regards.

Tom.

An aide memoir for those wearing black bands and have forgotten which arm. 'Left is right'

Old Tom