Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C. Siege Park

munce

My great-grandfather's MM listing in the London Gazette has, after his name, the following: 'C. Siege Park (Wimbledon). I know from his service record that he was RASC, attached to 99th Siege Battery, but what does this entry refer to? Anyone know?

Itis normal to have Regiment(won medal with) and home town of the mentioned person, so i would say C.Siege Park is the Regiment/Battalion and Wimbledon is his home Town.

Regards Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Wimbledon as his home town makes sense, but C. Siege Park is still a bit of a mystery to me. What was a seige park, and how did it relate to a siege battery?

Does the service record say which ASC Company he was serving with ? (ie the Company number) - because with that you can often work out the war diary connection for the Siege Park. You might also be able to work out which SP was the correct one from the positioning of 99th Siege Battery's diaries within the War Office indexes - 99 SB files are indexed in PRO WO95/544. Regards - Tom.

Thanks Tom, but I'm still a bit lost. Let's get back to basics here -- what was a siege park exactly? His record doesn't mention the ASC company number, only that it was a motor transport section, attached to 99SB ammunition column.

Unfortunately I'm in Portugal and so can't get to the PRO for a while yet.

Munce - essentially an SP is a supply & mainenance depot for the Siege Batteries in the group. Unfortunate that the service record doesnt give the ASC Company number because that is normally the easiest way to work out which SP is being talked about, and hence get into the PRO WO95 records. I presume that the MM index card gave no more information than the London Gazette entry (?) - otherwise backtracking from 99 SB's war diaries is your best bet - ie any SP or SP's indexed in the same WO95 sequence. Regards - Tom