Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best Books on Easter Rising,War of Independence and Civil War

yelob

Hi All, looking for recommendations for this period of Irish history,overviews to start with but would like to hear what

you all found to be good.

Thanks,Liam

Hi All, looking for recommendations for this period of Irish history,overviews to start with but would like to hear what

you all found to be good.

Thanks,Liam

The Irish Time Book of the 1916 Rising by Shane Hegarty and Fintan O'Toole gives a very good account of events and is also a handy reference book. I also found The Irish War of Independenceby Michael Hopkins a good read although there are several other good accounts available.

Easter Rising

1916 Rebellion Handbook

The Easter Rebellion by Max Caulfield (wish I could see the notes from all the chaps he interviewed)

War of Independence

+1 for the Michael Hopkins book mentioned by Brendan

Blood on the Banner by Padraig O Ruairc (focus on Co Clare)

War of Independence in Limerick 1912-1921 by Thomas Toomey (not brilliantly written but huge amount of information)

Civil War

The Irish Civil War by Calton Younger

I didn't enjoy the 1916 book by Clair Wills. Joe Ambrose has books out on Dan Breen and Sean Treacy; there is a lot of material used in both books which is a bit of a con job IMHO.

Your query has prompted me to update my list of Easter Rising/WoI/Civil War books on LibraryThing

http://www.libraryth...log/johnnydoyle

• 2 weeks later...

"On another man wound" By Ernie O'Malley Good personal account of his time in 1916-21

"The Singing Flame" By Ernie O'Malley 1921-23

"Survivors" by Uineann McEoin Accounts of the Survivors of 1916-23, as told to the author, well worth a read, but out of print.

"The Green Flag Vol 111, Ourselves alone" a history of Ireland by Robert Kee.

These are just a few to get your taste buds going.....