Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

death in training

2li

:poppy:Dear Members

can any one point me the way to obtain a coroners report regarding a death in a training accident at PREES HEATH camp Shropshire, I have tried the local archive but nothing there, I have today sent for his death certificate, but were would the Coroners report be located. the chap in I am looking to find out about his death is

Pte. Albert Fox, 17904, 3rd Depot Battalion, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, died 8 April 1916, buried Shrewsbury cemetery, newspaper report all be it small just states died in training accident.

any help much appriciated

PHILIP

On a thread not so long ago coroners reports for i think sussex were found on a search on national archives maybe the same may be true of shropshire.john

:poppy: Cheers John for that, I do have the report you are talking about its for a Gunner who died in an accident at Beccles in Suffolk, that came from the local archive there, but no such luck with Albert Fox, do you think he would have had a coroners inquest.

cheers again PHILIP

The East Sussex reports are virtually unique. Apparently the County Council did not comply with a Government order to destroy them. If any have survived for Shropshire, then the County Records Office would be the most likely place that they would have been deposited. As you have already tried the newspapers, which often report on the inquest itself, I don't know the way forward, I'm afraid.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure he died at Prees Heath.

Arthur's death was registered in Atcham. Had he died at Prees Heath, his death would have been recorded at Whitchurch. I'm not even sure the 3rd or the Depot were at Prees Heath. The 9th Bn. were. I think the 3rd and depot were in South West Wales and at Copthorne respectively.

Neil

Hi

You could always look at his service record on Ancestry !!!!

This states that he was discharged on 30/3/16 as no longer physically fit for war service.

Although there is no mention of an accident, he was hospitalised with meningitis at some stage.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Albert+&gsln=Fox&gskw=Kings+Shropshire+Light+Infantry&sbo=0&uidh=ya4&pcat=39&h=334912&db=BritishArmy&indiv=1

Regards

Graeme

:poppy: Graeme

cheers again did you say service papers are available for Albert Fox, also just looked at his newspaper obit, does state sad death has occured at Prees Heath Camp.

I will have to get a copy of his papers.

cheers again Graeme

PHIL.

:poppy:

CHEERS Neil

The CWWGC has him as 3rd depot, but newspaper reports does say sad death has occured at Prees Heath.

all the best Phil.

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure he died at Prees Heath.

Arthur's death was registered in Atcham. Had he died at Prees Heath, his death would have been recorded at Whitchurch. I'm not even sure the 3rd or the Depot were at Prees Heath. The 9th Bn. were. I think the 3rd and depot were in South West Wales and at Copthorne respectively.

Neil

Hi Phil,

My money is on him dying of illness at home, or at the R.S.I. He may have been treated at Prees Heath though.

Neil

:poppy:

cheers Phil

surly there must be an inquest at some point, but if he did die of a desease not an accident would there still be an inquest.?

cheers again for input

PHIL

The East Sussex reports are virtually unique. Apparently the County Council did not comply with a Government order to destroy them. If any have survived for Shropshire, then the County Records Office would be the most likely place that they would have been deposited. As you have already tried the newspapers, which often report on the inquest itself, I don't know the way forward, I'm afraid.

Phil

If he died from a disease such as T.B. or Nephritis there would be no inquest.

Neil

:poppy: Cheers Neil

I have sent for his death certificate this will tell me more dont you think.

PHIL

Best bet for the unanswered questions. Least it will tell you place and cause of death and where applicable whether an inquest was held.

Shame it costs so damn much.

Neil

:poppy: cheers mate

yes I have spent a fortune over the years going over to France buying medal cards the odd service file, not to mention the paperwork ink and so on, but thats what its all about I would not change a thing, one day I will get this published

cheers PHIL