Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Irish Volunteer Bde Kings Liverpool Regiment

BillS

Good afternoon

I'm afraid that this is only indirectly related to the Great War, but perhaps someone might nevertheless be able to comment.

My grandfather joined the RH & RFA in Preston on 5 Sept 1914; he went to France in Aug 1915, and was badly gassed at Loos in 1915, being discharged in early 1916. He died in 1924 of a lung disorder. He was Gnr James Maher 14028.

I want to find his birthplace, so i can trace his ancestors.

Now, I am pretty sure that he was born in Ireland, and came to England to work in Liverpool, as many did then. I can find no birth for him (around 1886) in England. He does not feature in the UK censuses of 1891, 1901 nor 1911 - but he could probably have just avoided them, if he wanted. I do have his marriage (1911) and death certs, both events in Liverpool.

I have his so-called Pension Records, in which the Attestation states that he was born in Liverpool. It also notes that he had served for 5 years in the 5th (Irish) Volunteer Brigade Kings Liverpool Regiment, but gives no dates.

Two questions:

a) He was clearly keen to enlist in 1914 - is it likely that, at that time, he might consider that an English rather than an Irish birthplace would make him more likely to be accepted?

B) Might any surviving records of the KLR include his birthplace, and if so, where might I find them? possibly WO96 or 97?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

(The whole of) Ireland was still part of the UK in 1914, he would have been a British Subject whether born in Ireland or Liverpool, so I can't see any reason for deliberately giving an incorrect birthplace for that sort of purpose

Bill there are 443 hits for james maher on the 1901 irish census now there is a lot less in the right age bracket but you would realy need parents names to get a look in at a match.I would agree with David no purpose would have been served by him lying about irish birth there was many many thousands of irish men in the army and navy pre 1914.john

Hello,

Ive found several James Mahers mistranscribed in 1891 census who fit the bill for your James Maher. Can you give me his father's name as shown on his wedding cert? and I will try to take this further for you.

Hello,

Ive found several James Mahers mistranscribed in 1891 census who fit the bill for your James Maher. Can you give me his father's name as shown on his wedding cert? and I will try to take this further for you.

That's very kind of you. His father's name was Daniel Maher, profession carter. Also, one of the witnesses of the marriage was John Maher.

thanks

Bill

No matches in 01 census ireland of right age and daniel as head of household.john

Thanks, David and John.

John - I did look myself previously in the Irish census, and at that time couldn't find anything that matched up, but of course I suppose it's possible that everyone might not have been at home, or his father might have passed away, etc.

Following Celiatwo's kind offer regarding the possibility of a transcription error in the English census, I will now look for a similar possibility in the Irish census. He must surely be out there somewhere, in at least one census!

I've just had my 'Eurika' moment ! I have found your man and his dad in the 1911 census he was mistranscribed as Maker. Anyway his fathers name might be Dennis rather than Daniel also I think I have located his birth cert in the BMD index too. Rather than clog up this military forum on this matter I sugges you contact me email on celia.couzins@blueyonder.co.uk and I'll explain all to you. Hope to hear soon

I've just had my 'Eurika' moment ! I have found your man and his dad in the 1911 census he was mistranscribed as Maker. Anyway his fathers name might be Dennis rather than Daniel also I think I have located his birth cert in the BMD index too. Rather than clog up this military forum on this matter I sugges you contact me email on celia.couzins@blueyonder.co.uk and I'll explain all to you. Hope to hear soon

Celia, that sounds great - many thanks - will be in touch!

There was a James Maher baptised at St Anthony's Scotland Road in 1884 Father Daniel mother Marcella Allen