Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

2li

:poppy:Dear Members can any one help with information ie War diary or Regimental history to the 7th R.W.F., for the dates of 9th 10th August 1915, I seek information regarding the battle in which Pte. Leopold Edward Hirons, 3643, 7TH Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Date of death, was killed on 10th August 1915, Age 25,

Any help with this task will be very much appriciated, many thanks.

PHILIP

:poppy:Dear Members can any one help with information ie War diary or Regimental history to the 7th R.W.F., for the dates of 9th 10th August 1915, I seek information regarding the battle in which Pte. Leopold Edward Hirons, 3643, 7TH Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Date of death, was killed on 10th August 1915, Age 25,

PHILIP

Hi Philip,

The1/7th RWF were at Gallipoli during this period of time and he's commemorated on the Helles memorial

HIRONS , LEOPOLD EDWARD , Private 3643,10/08/1915, age 25, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, United Kingdom, Panel 77 to 80.HELLES MEMORIAL

Perhaps Hywyn or some of the real RWF buffs might be able to give you more information on the dates in question, but if you wish to check yourself then please follow the link below.

http://www.archive.o...talrecord04dudl

Regards

Will

PHILIP

Hi Philip,

They (Territorial RWF bttns) landed at Suvla Bay on the 9th, and were part 158th Brigade advancing across the salt lake on the 10th August to relieve the 159th Brigade that had spearheaded the initial advance. Casualties were heavy and they did not reach their objective by the end of the day.

Regards

Will

:poppy: Will a big thank you I will try the link you sent and see if any more can be found on Pte. Hirons

cheers again

PHIL

The latest Pen and Sword Battleground Gallipoli book, Suvla August Offensive, by Stephen Chambers, describes the attack on Scimitar Hill that involved the 5th, 6th and 7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Moriaty

:poppy: cheers Moriaty

for that I will try and obtain a copy.

thank you Phil

:poppy: Will a big thank you I will try the link you sent and see if any more can be found on Pte. Hirons

cheers again

PHIL

Hi Phil,

No worries, and I think you can also download the book by Dudly Ward as well from this website in PDF format .

Regards

Will