Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24TH Welsh Regt

2li

:poppy: Dear Members

Does any member have a copy of the Regimental history for the 24 Welsh Regt, for the dates of September 6 & 7th 1918, can anyone tell me what action the battlion was in and what occured on this day and was the objectives taken.

many thanks Philip

I can look at the Welsh regiment history in a day or two.

Bernard

Not a lot. Came back from Egypt, joined 11 Corps, took part in the general advance in Flanders at the end of August.

Nothing specific for the dates you mention.

Bernard

:poppy: Cheers Bernard

for getting back to me, I am interested in the date of the 7 September 1918, has a soldier from my war memorial died on this date, I can find out nothing about him, nothing in archives, so would like to know what happened on the day he died he was one of several men killed that day, was the battalion in action or was this a shell burst..

cheers Phil Wallace Leonard Stocks, Service number: (291639)

Regiment 24th Pembroke & Glamorgan Yeomanry Battalion, Welsh Regt,

Other units, 2/7th Welsh Regt,

Date of death, 7th September 1918, Age 21

Cause of death, Killed in Action,

The war diary may help then. Not sure if its been digitised. Bernard

:poppy: Cheers Bernard

anything you can do to help me with the regi history and fill in the gaps regarding the days action in which Wallace Stocks was killed will be very helpful

cheers Phil

As I mentioned, Phil, the Welsh Regt history (Marden) makes no mention of the 24th for the dates you want. The war diary may say something but I don't have that so can't assist any further.

Check the National Archives website to see if its been digitised (there is a project starting to digitise them all by 2014, if I remember correctly) The diary will be in the WO95 series records. If its not done a possible shortcut might be to post your request on this website under 'lookup requests' and see if some kind soul can help you when at Kew.

Bernard

Phil,

The 24th Welsh moved to the Somme from Flanders on 28 August 1918, arriving by train at Mericourt l'Abbe the following day. On 30 August they marched into Reserve positions at Trigger Wood, near Templeux-le-Guerard/ Hargicourt. On 7 August the battalion began it's advance, and several men were killed that day, including Walter, and around 70 officers and men wounded. Here are the men killed that day-

Churchman, Arthur

Croston, James William

Davies, William Thomas

Eades, George

Guest, James Graham

Hollbrook, William Thomas Herbert

Howard, Frederick Easton

Smith, Samuel

Stocks, Walter Leonard

Tully, Richard Heckles

Wakeford, Charles Herbert Stanley

Wild, Arthur

Is Walter Stocks on a memorial at Shrewsbury?

Cheers,

SteveJ.

:poppy: Steve

thanks very much for your help, yes Wallace Stocks is on my war memorial but nothing known about him, so this you sent helps me understand what happened on the day he died,

cheers again

Philip

This is an extract from the "History of the 74th Division.

Early the next morning (6th) the 47th Division reported that their patrols had reached the Quarries east of Monastir Trench. The Divisional front had been readjusted and extended during the night: the 230th relieved the 229th Brigade, and the 231st, of which the 24th Welsh Regiment was part, took over a portion of the line held by the Australian Division. On receipt of the news, General Girdwood ordered the 230th Brigade to move as advance guard, and the 231st, while coming into support, to form a defensive flank along the southern divisional boundary.

Opposition to the advance was not strong : Midinettes Trench and Aizecourt le Haut were occupied by the Suffolks and the Buffs by midday, and in the evening the 230th Brigade was close to Templeux Trench, in touch with the Australians at Bussu, but not with the 47th Division, who were some distance in rear on the left.

The next day the retreating enemy was followed to the east of Longavesnes, and the 231st Brigade was ordered to take up the advance in the morning of the 7th. The 3rd Australian Division relieved the 2nd on the right, and the 58th Division the 47th on the left.

The advance was carried forward by the 24th Welsh Regiment on the right and the Shropshire Light Infantry on the left, in face of considerable artillery and machine gun fire. Villers Faucon was occupied without much difficulty and the enemy pursued to the east of the railway. The Division had gone ahead of the two flanking divisions, and the 25th Royal Welsh Fusiliers and Suffolks (attached to the Brigade) were called upon to assist in forming flanks.

On the 8th the Welsh Fusiliers made an attempt on the trenches north-east of Hargicourt, but the position of this battalion was distinctly bad. Owing to the enemy opposition west of Epehy, the 58th Division was still west of that village. Consequently, when the Welshmen moved forward, they were enfiladed by heavy machine gun fire from Epehy and the high ground south-east of it. Considerable casualties were suffered. Patrols pushed forward with great boldness, but encountered the enemy in strength in all directions. Heavy bombardment throughout the day failed to shake the Germans, and when darkness fell the brigade was back in its original line. The Australian Corps did not advance that day. The 231st Brigade was relieved during the night by the 229th.

:poppy: cheers Donald

a big thank you for you contribution to my quiry regading what happened to the 24 Welsh battalion, and now I have an idear to the last moments of Pte Stocks,

thank you again for your kind help

PHILIP

• 3 months later...

Hello Philip,

I am currently researching my Great Uncle, Frederick John Staunton Drew, who was killed in action on 8th September 1918 in Villers-Faucon. He was with the 9th Bn. Queen Victoria's Rifles at the time, and they were on the left of the 24th Welsh Regiment and the 10th Bn K.S.L.I. on the 7th September.

I just wondered if you had found any more information about the 24th Welsh Regiment on that day? Some of 'C' Coy of the QVR were in touch with the 74th Yeomanry Division as they pushed through Villers-Faucon and St Emilie on the 7th.

I appreciate this information is not directly related, but If you were interested in a slightly wider picture of what happened that day on the left of the 24th Welsh Regiment I have the Regimental History and the War Diary for the QVR, that may be of interest to you, and possibly some other bits of information as well.

Cheers,

Chris

:poppy: Chris

thanks for replying to my wants, I have only managed to find what you see here, this info came from members of the forum, whom without their help I would be lost.

all the very best PHIL.

Hello Philip,

I am currently researching my Great Uncle, Frederick John Staunton Drew, who was killed in action on 8th September 1918 in Villers-Faucon. He was with the 9th Bn. Queen Victoria's Rifles at the time, and they were on the left of the 24th Welsh Regiment and the 10th Bn K.S.L.I. on the 7th September.

I just wondered if you had found any more information about the 24th Welsh Regiment on that day? Some of 'C' Coy of the QVR were in touch with the 74th Yeomanry Division as they pushed through Villers-Faucon and St Emilie on the 7th.

I appreciate this information is not directly related, but If you were interested in a slightly wider picture of what happened that day on the left of the 24th Welsh Regiment I have the Regimental History and the War Diary for the QVR, that may be of interest to you, and possibly some other bits of information as well.

Cheers,

Chris

Dear Steve,

I notice you kindly gave Phil some information on the 24th Welsh Regiment on the 7th September. Fascinating stuff. I don't suppose you would be kind enough to tell me what happened on the following day the 8th September too? If its not too much trouble.

Cheers,

Chris

The 24th Welsh moved to the Somme from Flanders on 28 August 1918, arriving by train at Mericourt l'Abbe the following day. On 30 August they marched into Reserve positions at Trigger Wood, near Templeux-le-Guerard/ Hargicourt. On 7 August the battalion began it's advance, and several men were killed that day, including Walter, and around 70 officers and men wounded. Here are the men killed that day-

Churchman, Arthur

Croston, James William

Davies, William Thomas

Eades, George

Guest, James Graham

Hollbrook, William Thomas Herbert

Howard, Frederick Easton

Smith, Samuel

Stocks, Walter Leonard

Tully, Richard Heckles

Wakeford, Charles Herbert Stanley

Wild, Arthur

Is Walter Stocks on a memorial at Shrewsbury?

Cheers,

SteveJ.