Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SSS Brotherhood

John_Hartley

I keep finding references, in obituaries, to soldiers having been members of the "SSS Brotherhood" - but I can't find anything more. Google also lets me down.

My assumption is that it's got a religious connection. Church Men's Club? Or something of the like.

Anyone come across this? Or is it just something Stockport specific?

John

It could be a theosophical fraternal or secret type of organisation- like the masons or similar?

Guest Kieron Hoyle

No idea about the 'SSS' part - but have a reference to 'brotherhood' which may be worth further investigation, as trade union especially of Railwaymen??

Stockport s...... Society ?

I've never come across this John, but maybe Serving Soldiers & Sailors or Stockport Soldiers & Sailors??

Ed

John

Probably Socialiat Sunday School Brotherhood which came out of the London Great Dock Strike in 1892. There were 120 groups around the country by 1912 including the Manchester area.

Myrtle

P.S. Happy Birthday

Myrtle - I reckon you may well have put your finger on it. I'd been thinking along the lines of Stockport Sunday School, but couldnt think why there would be a Brotherhood. But, of course, trade unionists would have called each other Brother as a matter of course in those days (and in my memory).

Malcom - still inetrested if you ever find out what the priests might be. Will do a bit more digging and see if I can tie the men into being Roman Catholics.

Thanks

John

SSS celebrate 40 years in India.

To mark the 40th year of their setting foot on Indian soil, and the 25th year of ministry in Tamil Nadu, the Blessed Sacrament Fathers held a three-day Eucharistic Congress (March 12-14, 2004) at Pallavaram in Chennai.

Prepared and hosted by the young Blessed Sacrament Religious of our three communities at Velappan Chavady, Kamarajapuram and Mannurpet, and generously supported by a host of enthusiastic volunteers and well-wishers, the Congress with its motto: Manna 2004 was a veritable milestone in the life and ministry of the Blessed Sacrament Fathers in India and an

Down loaded the above from the following URL

http://www.blessedsacrament.com

Terry Barrett