Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fred archibald william white

lukerwhite

I am trying to find more information regarding my ancestor fred arcibald william white.

I know from a newspaper cutting that he survived the war and was on leave from the british cavalry 25 Dec 1915 when he was married in england to edith mitchell in st albans, hertfordshire.

I havent been able to find any records on ancestry for him.

Can anyone help?

He was born 1 Oct 1890 in Willesden, London.

I think he is claimed on a Family Tree (father William James Archer White?) but marrying in 1911 an Annie Nutter.

Presumably the wrong guy, but Fred seems to have married Edith and they at least had 50 years married....

As to your question...

There is a Medal Index card to a Fred A White, Driver 2857 (and 960758) in RFA entitled to British War and Victory medals, but also with a Silver War Badge indicating he was fairly seriously wounded.

Does any of that fit family history?

If the Army didn't record him as FAW White, then looking for the right Fred White is going to be difficult!!

Kevin

Thanks for the reply.

I have all this family information on my tree already. He married twice and emmigrated to Canada later on in life.

What i would really like to know is his military history. If you were in the Royal Field Artillery as a driver would you refer to this as being in the british cavalry. I imagine horses would be used to pull the guns but i wouldnt associate these mointed men as british cavalry......am i right?

Hmm, a driver in RFA isn't my idea of "Cavalry" although often occupations were "bigged up" for the Wedding Certificate!!

There is a Medal Index Card for a Frederick W White, Private 4271 and L/13557 in 12th Lancers who was in France from 15 September 1914 and claimed the 1914 Star and Rose clasp in August 1921, as well as British War and Victory medal entitlements. This chap was transferred to Class W Reserves on 20th May 1917, which is only a few months after "your" Fred married...

From the Long Long Trail, Class W Reserves were:-

Class W Reserve and its Territorial Force equivalent Class W(T) were introduced in June 16 by Army Order 203/16. They were ‘for all those soldiers whose services are deemed to be more valuable to the country in civil rather than military employment’. Men in these classes were to receive no emoluments from army funds and were not to wear uniform. They were liable at any time to be recalled to the colours. From the time a man was transferred to Class W, until being recalled to the Colours, he was not subject to military discipline.

Does any of that info above fit your family history?

I would have expected a Lancer in full uniform for his wedding to have been worth a photo or two, so do any still exist?

Otherwise, it's open to any Pal who can do better!!

Having a spare 10 mins!! I have done a quick search for you but there are some 17000+ Frederick Whites to trawl through. Even searching under his 3 christian names does not narrow it down as all derivatives come up. However, within the first 200 or so records I found MIC cards for Frederick Whites in the Berkshire Yeomanry, 11th and 18th Hussars, 12th Lancers and Montgomeryshire Yeomanry - so there will be plenty of cavalrymen to look at. What I need is some more evidence to narrow down the search. Anything you have may help.

Cheers

Jonathan

I have found the following information amongst my notes -

Fred AW served in WW1 in the British Calvary according to his daughter. His Attestation papers show his No. 12472 (I do not have these). He was 20 when he was called up having served 3 years in the Hampstead Cadets.

I can't find the marriage on http://www.freebmd.org.uk despite trying various permutations. That surprises me. Are you sure of the details you gave?

Yes. The marriages arent what I am trying to find. I have certs for both now. It is the military records I am trying to work out. Im hoping with the new details I have found someone can help me. (Fred AW served in WW1 in the British Calvary according to his daughter. His Attestation papers show his No. 12472 (I do not have these). He was 20 when he was called up having served 3 years in the Hampstead Cadets)

His first marriage was 1 Oct 1911 to Annie Nuttal - Hampstead, Middlesex

His second marriage was 25 Dec 1915 to Edith Elizabeth Mitchell - St Albans, Hertfordshire

Thanks