Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Soldiers

Guest J.Woodward

Guest J.Woodward

Is anyone able to help with info about the following soldiers? All were 10th Lincolns who died on the 9th April 1917. I've been trying to find any newspaper entries in their local papers concerning their deaths but with no luck. I was thinking that perhaps my starting info is wrong, so if anyone could help confirm or deny this that would be great:

Pte 43570 Percy Thomas Miles, born Ellesborough, Bucks, enlisted Aylesbury

Pte 40561 Thomas Henry Bates, born Walsall, enlisted Wolverhampton

Pte 40568 Arthur Harris, born Studley, enlisted Wolverhampton

Pte 32930 Maurice Venting, born Halifax, enlisted Bury

Pte 32950 Harry Holland, born Astley

Pte 30747 Robert Stevenson Gould, born Washington Station

Pte 1262 Edmund Parrot Tasker, born Cleethorpes

Lt Wynard Fleetwood Cocks, born Ryde

Of course they may well have moved from the town of their birth, but I had no luck with any of their enlistment towns either. Any ideas anyone,

Cheers

Joe

Have you looked at CWGC ? Percy Thomas Miles is listed as Pte 43510 on there and his parents are listed as living at Horton, Leighton Buzzard, Beds. As they were probably next of kin the papers in their area may have mentioned their son and/or he may have been listed on their local memorial.

Arthur Harris's wife appears to have married again so Arthur may be listed on her local memorial or where his parents lived in Shelfield, Alcester.

It's worth checking the other soldiers' details.

I have found that even if a soldier did not live in the same place as his parents there was often an obituary in the parent's local paper.