Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th South Wales Borderers April 1918

2li

:poppy: Dear Members

Can any one help with the dates of 10-14 April 1918, concerning the 6th South Wales borderers, at which time Pte George W. Harris, 40130, was killed, what I would like to know is what the battalion was doing on these dates, were they in action or in the trenches, George Harris, was reported missing on the 10 April, but soldiers died have him as been killed on the 14th April, can any member help with this

many kind regards PHIL

The following pages are from the history of the SWB. Page 406 recounts the events of 10th April and the remaining 2 pages cover the 14th April. In between these dates the battalion was asked to withdraw and counter attack as the need arose. The companies were somewhat broken up by German movement. This may account for the discrepancy in dates for Pte Harris

post-24996-0-22730100-1325529334.jpg

:poppy: Chris

A big thank you for your help with my request for the Regimental history, these pages have answered my questions regarding the date of death with CWWGC, on the 14 April, and the newspaper obit which states he was missing in action on the 11, this chap was one of three brothers killed in WW1, and now with your help I have the information I need to peice together his last few days.

many thanks again Chris for your kind help

all the best Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi I am replying to an old post here but so appreicate I might not get a reply but do you have the details of the three brothers you could post? many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

:poppy: Hi

here are the info on the three Harris brothers commemorated on the ST. MICHAEL'S WAR MEMORIAL SHREWSBURY.

PHIL

Private, George William Harris, 401306, 6th SOUTH WALES BORDERERS (formerly 4501, Monmouthshire Regt) Killed-in-Action F/F 14/04/1918, Age 35, born Shrewsbury, enlisted Shrewsbury; Son of Mrs. Jane Harris, of 1, Bodkin Row, Spring Gardens, Ditherington, Shrewsbury; husband of Mrs. Harris, of 7 Farm Cottages, New Park Rd., Castlefields, Shrewsbury; brother to William and Charles Harris, both who fell in the Great War,

Also commemorated on All Saints church War Memorial, Castlefields, Shrewsbury.

No known Grave, (PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL) Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium, Panel 5.

Private, Charles Harris, 32690, 13th EAST LANCASHIRE REGT (formerly 24560, K.S.L.I. Killed-in-Action F/F 18/07/1918, Age 40, born Shrewsbury, enlisted Shrewsbury; Son of John and Jane Harris, of 1, Bodkin Row, Spring Gardens, Ditherington, Shrewsbury; husband of Elizabeth Harris, of 21, Crewe St., St. Michael’s, Shrewsbury; brother to William, and George Harris, both who fell in the Great War.

Buried (BORRE BRITISH CEMETERY) Nord, France, II. D. 12.

Private, William Harris, 11542, 5th KING’S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY killed-in-Action F/F 26/09/1915, Age 17, born Shrewsbury, enlisted Shrewsbury; Son of John and Jane Harris, of 1, Bodkin Row Spring Gardens, Ditherington, Shrewsbury; brother to George and Charles Harris, both who fell in the Great War.

No known Grave (YPRES) MEMIN GATE MEMORIAL) Leper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel to be appended.

• 6 years later...

I am the Grand son of Privet George William Harris 40130, And have been trying to find information on him and his death in WW1 know have most of the information I need thanks to all the people that have help 

Regards 

Tim Perkin

Adelaide South Australia

• 1 month later...

Hello I am wondering if anyone could look up the date 15/16th/17 April 1918

Or even better link me to the viewable history of the SWB.

As its part of my website research 

Thanks

John Melling

Hi John,

According to this topic, Ancestry are offering free access to some military records from 8 November 2018 to 12 November 2018 at 23:59 GMT. The Battalion war diary for April 1918 is here, and the 25 Division HQ (General Staff) diary here.

Regards

Chris

Such was the state of affairs at the time that there was understandable confusion about when individual lives were lost. My wife's great uncle Sgt. Albert Hemmings, 16997, 6th S.W.B., is listed as killed in action 15.4.18 in 'Soldiers' Died', for instance. However, the battalion's war diary is quite clear he was killed on 10.4.18 -the day of the counterattack on Ploegsteert village.

Michael

When I looked in the diary today, there is no mention of William Cooper on any of the days surrounding the 16th April 1918

William Cooper missed off the paperwork at the time perhaps.

And the war diary only has a 9th to 14th operations report... so far as I can see

Oh well

John

• spof changed the title to 6th South Wales Borderers April 1918