Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ships - Gallipoli

Hedley,

Can't see any report in newspapers (FMPast) and there are a lot of Irishmen named James Walsh in Ancestry :-(

The incident could be in Neuralia's log for 1915.

Neuralia - found only this for 1917:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx

Kath.

Edited by Kath

Hedley

This may or may not help.

Alfred Edward Taylor, Stoker 1st Class, 296506, Hood Battalion, RND, died of dysentery on board HS Neuralia on 9th August 1915. (Chatby War Memorial - Alexandria).

Edward Gordon Henderson, Private, 10/2179, Wellington Regiment, NZEF, died of wounds on board HS Neuralia, 15th August 1915 and is buried at sea. (Lone Pine Memorial). The ship was heading for Alexandria.

As Kath said there are a number of entries for James Walsh in Ancestry, but if we can work out where he was evacuated from it may narrow it down a bit.

Kath - Excellent web-site by the way.

Regards

Alan

A note from a Sgt in the 6th Manchesters about Alexandria:-

There were several ships embarking soldiers, the Ionian was carrying the 7th and 8th Battalions of the Manchester Regiment and the 5th and 6th were on the Derflinger.

The Derflinger had returned from the Dardanelles the previous day with 580 wounded Australians and it is said that they were disembarked in about four hours. It is also said that two fell overboard and drowned. There were many Australians on board the Derflinger, having been in the Dardanelles, but having returned with the wounded, and they had a remarkable story to tell about what the Australians had gone through.

Thanks, Alan.

As 'Burlington' Martin said, 'a labour of love'.

I have another page, THE LAST VOYAGE, to get online before 13th. August.

Kath.

Hedley,

Can't see any report in newspapers (FMPast) and there are a lot of Irishmen named James Walsh in Ancestry :-(

Kath.

Kath and Alantwo,

Aren't there just? And if you run out you can find some more on FMP.

There is a newsclipping about the story (thanks to Museum Tom of this Parish). For my purposes I don't need to know much more, but I pass it on. It's from the King's County Observer, an Irish paper, undated but sometime in 1916. It could be of interest to anyone keen on Gallipoli and/or hospital ships. There is an Australian interest since the Connaughts were in support of the Australians at Lone Pine a few days before. Possibly Walsh was a casualty of that action.

post-98-0-93238400-1436519099_thumb.png

I have heard of similar WW1 stories of where - in the words of the song - 'the corpse sat up and sang'. Anyone know of others?

The Neuralia had a long and distinguished history as a hospital and transport ship, only being sunk in the last week of WW2.

Edited by Hedley Malloch

Very good to see it in black & white (almost) and confirmed.

Kath.

Plumridge's "Hospital Ships and Ambulance Trains" has a list of Hospital Ships and other vessels used for the reception, treatment and movement of casualties during the Gallipoli campaign. Page 169, Appendix D. Unfortunately, it is only a list of names, without any dates or other details. Other details are found elsewhere in the book.

A note: Plumridge's book contains names of ships that didn't go anywhere near the Gallipoli peninsula; as Doc says, they were "used in the Gallipoli campaign" which could mean Egypt to England, India or Australia.

• 3 years later...

I'm interested in the whereabouts of the hospital ship Soudan from August 1914 until January 1915. Does anyone know how I would find out where this ship was during this period? I'm wondering whether it was shore-based during this time. My Grandfather's Navy record shows that he was assigned to the Soudan on 1 Aug 1914 having been a SBA at Plymouth Hospital up to that point. The last entry on his record shows RUN 8-1-15 Soudan Birkenhead - does anyone know what this means?

Thanks.

The notation "RUN" means that he deserted (from SOUDAN at Birkenhead). If his record does not continue beyond that date it means he was never recovered.

Edited by horatio2