Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birdsong BBC TV adaptation

BillyH

The BBC have done an adaptation of this great book, scheduled for BBC1 at the end of this month.

I presume it will be in at least 3 parts but don't know any more at the moment - keep an eye open for it I am sure it won't generate as much vitriol as the recent topic on War Horse? - at least I hope not !

Regards, BillyH

Thanks for the heads up. I was contacted by the production company in Bulgaria wanting to hire Vickers guns for it only a few months ago so they've turned it around quick (they ended up converting Russian Maxims in the end - oh well!).

Thanks,

Richard

Can't say I'm overtly enthusiastic. I've read it; and voila! Can't say that I need a BBC rendering of the text to make sure that I've understood it according to the Beeb's criteria. I wouldn't call it a "this great book" - but there we are - to each his/her own.

Hi Billy,

You might be opening a can of worms here!! For me, I was excited to read your news, because reading 'Birdsong', changed my life, and I really mean that! But if you research old posts on here, 'Birdsong' has not always been popular...

Alie.

• 2 weeks later...

I did wonder what those clips in the trailer were from!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book for what it was (i.e. an entertaining story with, I believe, no intention of being an authoritative historical account!), and in the same regard I'm looking forward to seeing the TV adaptation.

Cheers

Steve

I for one am really pleased that the Beeb has been advertising this. My Granddaughter phoned me asking if I had a copy of the book and she will be reading that and not watching the adaptation. At least the trailer made it known to her :)

not long now

remember it is not a factual documentary it is light entertainment

put the magnifying glasses aside and enjoy

Billy

here here

not long now

Billy

Same to raise the same old chestnut as Warhorse but it seems that some people regard Birdsong as history,so much so that in my travels I have encounterd school trips doing "Birdsong" tours of the front as if it were a book of historical fact. Nothing wrong with fiction as long as it isn't treated as history.

I've not read the book - but apart from the war scenes, does anything happen other than the characters looking meaningfully into the middle distance? As that's all that seems to be happening so far..

PS - good grief - I agree with Norman!

Well I have managed to watch the first 30 minutes without falling asleep that only leaves another 150 minutes to come. Looks like the Downton tradition of wooden acting has been taken to a new level. In defence of such stories I do think that it is almost impossible to make an interesting and absorbing film of WW1 subjects without basing the story on some degree of fact and having a very strong storyline which so far nobody has achieved with the notable exception of Paths of Glory from Stanley Kubrick. The long pregnant pauses in this latest effort are painful to watch but luckily there is snooker on BBC2!

Norman

not long now

Billy

If you want to restrict discussion of this to applause for 'enjoyable' 'light entertainment' without any discussion of its depiction of the Great War, why come on to a Great War forum to do so? In any case, so far it's anything but light - heavy going would be a better description of it as 'entertainment.'

George

I've not read the book - but apart from the war scenes, does anything happen other than the characters looking meaningfully into the middle distance? As that's all that seems to be happening so far..

PS - good grief - I agree with Norman!

Well I certainly do not!!! ------------ Whoops forgot I am Norman :thumbsup:

Is anyone else having difficulty listening to the recorded sound?

There's so much whispering you need to be a lip-reader to fathom the dialogue.

Is anyone else having difficulty listening to the recorded sound?

There's so much whispering you need to be a lip-reader to fathom the dialogue.

Exactly what I was thinking. I cannot make out a word.

Mike

I have the volume up much higher than usual, annoying

Billy

Much better with the sound off Kate. Still never mind at least we have a real treat on Tuesday (2300) when BBC4 show a welcome repeat of "Delius - Song of Summer" by Ken Russell, now this is real talent. Those of you unfortunte to miss the recent repeat of KRs Elgar are advised not to miss this one

Norman

Added - OMG! he is NOT dead, amazing and just like Downton when that guy got blown up and changed into a Canadian or when Matthew was a cripple and then he was cured!!! Great Stuff and almost as good as Blue Peter.

Probably still available via the iPlayer Norman. It was the classic Monitor programme, with dialogue spoken by Huw Wheldon.

There was a chunk of WW1 footage too.

Kate, the Elgar film was one of the very best programmes that I have ever seen and caused a rebirth of interest in his music that remains to this day.

Norman

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that and can't wait for the next

[and final] exciting installment - TV for men.

Billy

I enjoyed it for what it was but I too had trouble with the sound and had to turn it up - you don't expect a Great War film to be too quiet!!!!

Was it me or was one of the soldiers who went underground also the guy who played Albert in War Horse at the National Theatre? I saw the play about 18 months ago so cannot remember the guys name.

Neil