Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Bayonet regiment markings

Guest blimy

Hello, I have a 1915 Dated, SMLE bayonet, with the markings T, and 2 LS. and a rack number,i Guess its a terratorial 2nd battalion of a school or pals unit?

Any info, as always would be most welcome,Cheers,Chris.

Unit markings are located on the pommel on the opposite side to the release button. If you posta all the markings and their locations I am happy to decipher them for you. It will have to be in the morning though as I am off to the scratcher now. (up early you see).

Tom

If the LS is on the pommel it is for St Lorettas School. Yes some schools had unit markings, pals and ROTC.

Tom

I have no idea what the "T" (Territorial) relates to in this case, but on List II of the Markings of Arms, 1912, HMSO cited in Robins book on swords of the British army, the initials "L.S." would be used for the Junior Division of OTC's for the Loretto School. If they indeed had a 2nd Bn, I wouldn't know.

Hope this helps a little.

DrB

My apologies, it is indeed Loretto School (without the 'St')

Well, thankyou all! I will have to research the lorreta/lorreto school. The full markings on the pommel are as follows-

T

2 LS

Many Thanks, Chris.

Chris,

I actually don't think the Bayonet is marked to the Loretto School.

If it was marked to the Loretto School the marking would have been more likely:

OTC/LS

Territorial Force units were known to contravene the strict letter of the regulations and mark weapons/Clothing etc with the units name.

I have a 1916 Bayonet marked:

T

2 PLKB

Which translates to 2nd Battalion, Princess Louise's Kensington Battalion (2/13 London) number 181.

I have seen similar marks on other items to various Battalions of the London Regiment in particular.

I believe your bayonet is in all probability a Territorial Force marked bayonet to:

2nd Battalion London Scottish (2/14 London)

Joe Sweeney

Hello Joe,

Well you are the first person to back up my own, (and prefered theory!)

I guess the best thing is to drop a line to the regimental museum, and see if they have any information, or an example of, their WW1 markings.

Many thanks for everyones help!

Chris.

Guest John Sukey

Here's another possibility. 2nd London Sanitary Company, R.A.M.C. which just might have been a T.A. unit at the time. It is just a guess but the 2LS part is listed. and maybe the rest implied.