Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poss non-commemoration

Northern Soul

I have a newspaper report of the death of this man following a long illness brought about a training accident for which he was discharged from the Army.

I can't remember now where I got his military details from so please could someone check whether there are any extant Pension or Service Records for him and, if there are, let me know what were the circumstances of his discharge. If it looks as if the accident he had contributed towards his death then I'll start gathering up the necessary paperwork.

Many thanks.

Andy.

Pension papers exist, Andy.

However, these seem to indicate cause of discharge was gastritis and , although the writing is a bit scrappy, I think it says "not" due to military service.

Thanks John. Not sure how an accident can cause gastritis or even how one can die from it, unless it was a perforated ulcer - but's that newspapers for you.

I have another couple of cases I'm taking a good look at at so I will probably order his DC anyway - for my own records if nothing else.

Cheers.

Andy.

He first suffered from it in 1900, "just had pain after food. Condition gradually became worse...". Having nearly died with pancreatitis (having been told by a Great White Consultant it was "only IBS" and to "come back when it REALLY hurt") I can attest that there are some things it could have been. In 1915 he was hospitalised with it twice - first for 6 weeks and then 10, so perhaps that's where the idea he had an accident originated. Having been made to feel so insignificant for wasting the Great Man's time, I put up with it for many more years, so could understand if he felt embarrassed trying to explain it.