Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force Medalion

simonpg

The attached medallion was issued to George Francis Stubbings. He was firstly in the 25th (County of London) Cyclist Bn. The London Regt., and then the Royal Engineers (Medal card). It is not known when he transferred regiments. He was in India and would have been part of the MEF that went from there in 1917 (1/25th Londons in Mesopotamia).

I am interested to know if this was an official issue medallion or a commemorative piece that the troops purchased themselves. It is approx. 1 1/4" diameter and there is no inscription around the edge.

Also, I have the books 'British Army Cap Badges of the First World War' by Peter Doyle and Chris Foster, as well as 'Identifying your World War 1 Soldiers from Badges and Photographs' by Swinnerton. Recently I found both books lacking in the badges of the Volunteer Training Corps. Can anyone recommend more comprehensive books that those, and one that may also contain medallions, clasps etc.

Thanks

Simon

Tasmania

post-34825-0-66610300-1325303215.jpg

post-34825-0-54026100-1325303217.jpg

Hi Simon,

Welcome aboard. My aunt and uncle have a place in St.Helens. Earlier in the year we took a very nice haul of King George Whiting there!

I have never seen or heard of an official medal for Mesopotamia. It does look similar to an unofficial sports or shooting medal, which were often engraved with the name of the winner.

Rgds

Tim D

post-1563-0-82243500-1325312624.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a distant relation that was issued with this medal and luckily his WWI service records are among the surviving ones and I found out about the medal because it appears on his service records. he even wrote to the War Office asking when would it be issued complete with Clasp. Therefore this would suggest it was an official medal.

I stand by my comment. This is a not an official issue. The issuing authorities would not have issued such a poorly made piece of tat. Check the service records again and you will probably see that the medal discussed is a 1914 star for that is the only one of which I am aware that had a clasp. This is also known as The Mons star and was issued to servicemen and woman who were in France from the commencement of the war until 22nd/23rd November 1914. The clasp was issued if the soldier was operating within range of enemy artillery. Many servicemen felt that they were entitled to the prestigious clasp and some submitted claims for it.

This is a not an official issue. The issuing authorities would not have issued such a poorly made piece of tat.

Totally agree it's not issue. Inclined to dispute the 'tat' bit though!

By coincidence, I also have one of these medallions - and boxed. It is of slightly better quality than you might imagine.

By more interesting coincidence perhaps, it was also among the effects of a Royal Engineer - like the OP's. These effects also included Christmas cards, from Baghdad, home-made and on KD cloth; a 'pinkie' ring made from a copper driving band and inscribed Jerusalem 1917; and two daggers - one German, one Arabic - both with ancient labels stating they were recovered from the battlefield in September 1918.

Anyhow: I digress - I think it mildly interesting that the (apparently) only two known examples of this medallion are both RE (whether issue or not).

Cheers,

GT.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Found him - taken a while!

Unsurprisingly, given that he was from Whitley Bay, the owner of my MEF medallion was in 1/3rd Northumbrian Field Company RE aka (T)451 Field Company. According to the LLT, 1/3rd joined the joined the 63rd (2nd Northumbrian) in January 1916; moved on to 15th (Indian) Division in Mesopotamia by 10 January 1917. Numbered 451 Company 6 March 1917.

15th (Indian) was formed in Mespot in 1916.

Cheers,

GT.