Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Library: how do I find out the 'shelf mark'?

tjpatti

Hi

I am in a bit of a quandary: I want to pre-order both editions of January 1917 Police Gazette Supplement D before a visit to the British Library but seem to need a 'shelf mark'. How would I go about acquiring this? (I have spent a fruitless afternoon on the BL website and am none the wiser.)

Kind regards

Teresa

Teresa

I have recent experience (within the last month) of ordering WO Caslists and was able to do so by just stating in full what I wanted and without the shelf mark. Their system is that they respond to the requesting email if there is a problem.

I suggest:

Either

Try making the request with as full details you have and await a response(say a couple of working days) stating there is a problem.

or

Send an ordinary email outlining your problem and seeking guidance.

Hywyn

Hi Teresa,

if you search through the integrated catalogue (advanced search) you will see about 9-12 entries that mention The Police Gazette. I'm not sure if these are what you need - the shelf marks are given - but usually these aren't required if you order through the catalogue

http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/?func=file&file_name=login-bl-list

Thank you, hywyn and npm, for your replies and advice. I'll have a go at sending as much information as I've got and see where that takes me.

Kind regards

Teresa