Guest Pete Wood

Name: YOUNGSON, ALEXANDER

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/07/1918

Service No: 265482

Additional information: Son of S. and Helen Youngson, of 19, Moray St., Lossiemouth, Morayshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 13.

Cemetery: BUZANCY MILITARY CEMETERY

SDGW states:

Born: Drainie, Elgin, Morayshire

Enlisted: Elgin

Killed in Action

More than 60 men and 1 officer died in a 48 hour period on this date in 1918.

This action was in the Battle of the Soissonnais and of the Ourcq from the 23rd July - 2nd August 1918.

• 2 years later...
Guest Bob Robinson

I don't know what story you are looking for, his military or personal one? I can give you some of his personal story from my family research. Alexander Youngson parents were Simon Youngson and Helen McFarlane, married 18 Mar 1892 in Lossiemouth, Morayshire. I am related to him through the McFarlane line. He was born 22 Jan 1896 in Lossiemouth, Morayshire and had four siblings, Helen Anderson Youngson, Isabella Jenkins Youngson, Maggie Youngson and Simon Youngson. He also had a step-brother Charles McFarlane who was born about 1890 in Drainie, Morayshire and was killed in World War I on 05 May 1915 in Pas de Calais, France. He is interned in the Wimereux Communal Cemetery. He was a Lance Corporal with 2nd Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders. Service number 7737. He was 25 years old when he was killed. If you are related to this family I would be pleased to exchange information with you.

Hello Crusty

I can probably explain this thread.

As you might have spotted, at the top of the page, there is someone who the Forum is "Remembering today". It is a random selection of names taken from the War Graves Commission database which are posted on the aniversary of the person's death by the site's owner.

From time to time, a Forum member will post the CWGC details of the man and, on occasions, other members will add information if the name or the unit strikes a particular resonance with them. That's what's happened here.

When I log on to the Forum (usually each day), the first thing I look for is the person remembered. I find it gives a personal focus to my research and my interest in the War. I'm pleased that, nearly three years ago, the thousands of members of the GWF had the opportunity to have a thought for your relative.

John

• 14 years later...
On 13/05/2007 at 21:50, Guest Bob Robinson said:

I don't know what story you are looking for, his military or personal one? I can give you some of his personal story from my family research. Alexander Youngson parents were Simon Youngson and Helen McFarlane, married 18 Mar 1892 in Lossiemouth, Morayshire. I am related to him through the McFarlane line. He was born 22 Jan 1896 in Lossiemouth, Morayshire and had four siblings, Helen Anderson Youngson, Isabella Jenkins Youngson, Maggie Youngson and Simon Youngson. He also had a step-brother Charles McFarlane who was born about 1890 in Drainie, Morayshire and was killed in World War I on 05 May 1915 in Pas de Calais, France. He is interned in the Wimereux Communal Cemetery. He was a Lance Corporal with 2nd Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders. Service number 7737. He was 25 years old when he was killed. If you are related to this family I would be pleased to exchange information with you.

Hello Bob - I appreciate your above post regarding Alexander Youngson and is held brother Charles McFarlane is from 2007, however I am a distant relative of Alexander and would be very pleased to hear of any further information you have on Alex. and Chas.  thanks 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Bob Robinson is no longer a member here, as denoted by Guest, we won’t hold any contact information for him.

• Admin

We don’t hold any records, but I recommend that you read How To Research A Soldier on the Long Long Trail website. Plenty of advice about how to go about looking for records. Be aware though that approximately 60% of soldiers records were destroyed in a bombing raid in WW2. 

• Admin

War diaries are currently free to download from the National Archives website after you register. This will tell you what was happening when Alexander was killed. A couple of photos of Buzancy cemetery. You don’t say if William became a casualty ? I found this on CWGC

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/486636/w-youngson/

9EB0FCF1-8860-4505-AC39-C43C0B27E186.jpeg

25156FB9-ABF8-4611-BFD0-43D43BF27CF3.jpeg

Hi Youngson,

Welcome to GWF

I don't know your experience with such things - If you haven't done it before War Diaries can be tricky to find at the National Archives - easy enough to then register and download [currently free downloads at the moment so don't delay]

For Alexander / the 8th Seaforth Highlanders here is the one covering the period around his death https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053646 [and the one for the previous period https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053645 ] - unlikely to mention him by name but will give you a flavour of what was happening around him at the time.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/275017/alexander-youngson As provided above Alexander's CWGC details - buried Buzancy Military Cemetery  [BTW, Michelle, lovely photos :-)]

Looking further it can be seen from a Concentration of Graves Burial Return document available from that commemoration that his body was exhumed for re-burial from an original location at  Soissons. 180/9 x 2288/8. Near Buzancy Military Cemetery = I am not familiar with that location/map reference but it is likely another member may be able to help you.

Edit:  A photo of his final grave's headstone at Buzancy can be found at Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56142453/alexander-youngson

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

From pension index cards at the Western Front Association / Fold3 we can see Alexander's mother, Helen, received a [Royal Warrant on Pay & Pensions] Article 21ic dependant's pension of 5/- per week from 14.4.19 - 19 Moray Street, Lossiemouth

Edited by Matlock1418