Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Uniform is this?

Guest DavidTennant

Guest DavidTennant

Can anybody recognise this uniform? I thought at first it was my father in 1911 shortly after he Joined the RGA. Now I am not so certain. After his demob in Jan 1919 he joined the Norfolk Police. Is it a police uniform? Trouble is he looks so much younger on this photo that he does on others taken up to Nov 1918.

Dave

post-1-1091025285.jpg

David,

If you've got a scanner set it on a high resolution (perhaps 700dpi or thereabouts) and scan just the small areas of the capbadge and belt buckle. If we can identify these it should solve the problem.

Tim L.

Using my Kryptonite avoiding Lenses it appears to be an Artillery Cap Badge & White Leather Military Belt,with Royal Crest Buckle,It "done loo loik a Narfook Bobbies Uniform my Beauty"[They were wearing Black leather Belts @ this time,either with a "Snake" hasp or a Crested Buckle,I think]

How old was he when he joined the RA, and how old do you think he is the picture?

He looks as if he is no more than 21 at the very oldest, given that people matured later in life due to poor nutrition - although this was primarily an urban problem - and almost certainly has an RA badge on his cap.

Could it be some form of pre-1914 RGA Barrack Dress or Walking Out Dress (stripped down parade uniform), with the pith helmet substituted for a similar colour Service Cap?

Also, I don't believe that constables wore flat caps during this period, the practice being confined to inspectors and above until the widespread introduction of cars. Also, the police generally wore black leather belts rather than blancoed.

Richard

Guest DavidTennant

Thanks very much to all. I compared it to another picture of him wearing a RGA cap and there was a remarkable similarity in the badges. I don't know if rescanning would improve things at the picture I have is a scan and I don't know, off hand, the resolution.

His age if recently joined the RGA would be about 18( he looks it)

I was not sure if the RGA , pre war, had other than Khaki uniforms.

Dave

Thanks very much to all. I compared it to another picture of him wearing a RGA cap and there was a remarkable similarity in the badges. I don't know if rescanning would improve things at the picture I have is a scan and I don't know, off hand, the resolution.

His age if recently joined the RGA would be about 18( he looks it)

I was not sure if the RGA , pre war, had other than Khaki uniforms.

Dave

They would have had "Walking Out Dress" Pre War which would not have been Khaki,which is what he looks like he is wearing in your picture