Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Brigade help

steandpaula

Hi,

And sorry for what might be a stupid qusetion but does B/68 RFA (Salonika) mean my man served in the 68th Brigade within 10th Division?

Regards,

Ste

Ste

If you found that on a medal index card, it is not a battery/brigade, but a reference to the medal roll held at Kew. The Long Long Trail link above will take you to that site where it will tell you more.

D

Hi D,

No not his MIC, it was actually on the LG record for his MM.

I thought the LLT page for the RFA was under reconstruction?

There wasn't a link with your post.

Cheers,

Ste

If it is an LG entry then yes, it will be Battery / Brigade.

The LLT link is at the top of the page, below Remembered Today, or Click Here for the old RFA page that Chris has kept going while the section is being upgraded.

Phil

Thanks Phil and D.

I have seen that link so many times on the page but it was late, after a long day and it didn't click that that was the link Daggers was refering too.

It was a 1919 award to a local man to me, so may be difficult to pin down for what action, but I know where to start looking.

Thanks again,

Ste

Hello Ste

If (Salonika) appears in the London Gazette entry, you can narrow down the time a bit, as 10th Division was only in Salonika from Oct 1915 (from Gallipoli) until Sept 1917 (when it went to Egypt. Although the LG entry is dated 1919 the actual deed earning in it could easily have taken place much earlier.

If you can get to London, the War Diary is in the National Archives at Kew in this file:

WO 95/4831 68 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1915 June - 1917 Aug.

Although War Diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, recipients of gallantry awards are sometimes mentioned.

Good hunting!

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Can't get down, may have to see if someone will get a copy.

Cheers,

Ste

Ste

You might have to narrow this down a lot more before anyone takes up your idea of a copy. As Ron says this unit's time in Salonika ended in Sep 1917,and any LG entry is usually not as long after the event as this appears. I have seen here quite a few times that the lead in to publishing is around 3 months after the action,and this seems to be well over a year,even given that we might expect a bit longer (say up to double the usual time) with the area concerned.

Sotonmate

Hello Sotonmate

In general terms you are right, but the Army/LG seemed to be playing catch-up quite heavily towards the end of the war, with some awards for bravery earned in, say, the Kaiserschlacht not being gazetted unitl well into 1919 and even 1920.

For 10 Div, there may have been a few cases which got overlooked at the time they moved from Salonika to Egypt, and only got picked up later. MMs were usually authorised as "immediate awards" by Corps commanders, and these too would have changed with the move of theatre.

Ron

Ron

Happy to have my impressions adjusted ! I have visions of the unactioned paperwork being packed away on departure from Salonika and then discovered on a quiet day in Palestine and sent off not so pdq !

Happy New Year !

Sotonmate

Edit.When I read yours first there was no 2nd para ! We "agree" on the possible overlooking here !