Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC cemeteries in the UK -Is Cannock unique?

salientguide

Doing some research for hopefully a book on the military use of Cannock Chase Staffs in the Great War. One of the features there is the Cannock War cememtery containing both British Empire and German graves from the military and PoW camps there. It is a " complete" CWGC cemetery just as one would find in France and Flanders, and indeed elsewhere, formal rows of headstones and Cross of Sacrifice surrounded by beech hedge. It occured to me, - is this unique as complete CWGC cememtery in mainland UK as opposed to the many scattered individual burials or groups of burials found in many churchyards or civilian cemeteries? Any pal know of other locations?

regards SG

Hi SG, we must of been writing at the same time, ive just posted on the Netley Hospital war graveyard, thats one more for you!! Regards Sean

Also has Cross of Scarifice there but it is only WW2 casualties with one civilian burial John H. F. Scrope Test Flight Observer died when flying in a De Havilland Mosquito Mk VI with John De Havilland on 23rd August 1943

post-34992-0-10781700-1324940261.jpg

You can add Brookwood to your list

Andy

• Admin

Shorncliffe Military Cemetery in Kent is another

Michelle

• Admin

I've found this snippet from a 1926 letter in an AIF service record

“….communication has now been received from the Chairman of the Epsom Urban District Council intimating that on Sunday, the 17th May, there will be unveiled and dedicated the Great War Cross erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission to the soldiers, sailors and airmen, who died in the service of their King and Country and who are buried in the Epsom Cemetery.

The memorial will be unveiled by the Lord Lieutenant of the County of Surrey and the ceremony of dedication performed by the Lord Bishop of Winchester.”

I was going to mention Shorncliffe as well which I visited years ago when staying at the nearby barracks (in not very much comfort). Very atmospheric, including a Belgian memorial.

I've recently taken photographs from Oban to Netley (mentioned above) and CWGC with Cross of Sacrifice are far too many to mention.

• 3 years later...

Harwell, Berkshire (well, it was!), is another. Mainly, IIRC, RAF and the like, all WW2. The WW1 graves (including a relative through marriage) are scattered throughout the remainder of the village graveyard, the CWGC part, with Cross of Sacrifice, occupying a discrete section within this.

Incidentally, I only became aware recently that the US of A does not (apparently) have anything as well organised as our GWGC - see: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/thousands-american-military-graves-lie-forgotten-lost-abroad/

Trajan

• Admin

There is a military cemetery with cross of sacrifice at Tidworth, and also a small plot with cross at Codford St Mary

Michelle

Botley Road Cemetery, Oxford has a sizeable CWGC section with all the trimmings.

A logical way of researching this would be to use the CWGC search facility - download all the UK burial sites into a spreadsheet; sort by number of burials; eliminate those below the cross of sacrifice designated number (is that 50?) and then examine what's left. Of course, there will be a goodly number where there are large cemetaries with scattered burials but it should be possible to find the "proper plot" ones.

Botley Road Cemetery, Oxford has a sizeable CWGC section with all the trimmings.

Passed that one many a time but never visited, and so I although was aware of the single monuments scattered throughout the cemetery I never realised there was a dedicated CWGC area. Next time I'm in Oxford I'll have a gander.

Trajan

Australian cemetery St Mary's Churchyard Harefield Middlesex - known locally as Anzac cemetery although those who are buried in the cemetery are Australian - note the unique headstones.

post-6448-0-52741000-1441017331_thumb.jp

post-6448-0-59852900-1441017387_thumb.jp

Passed that one many a time but never visited, and so I although was aware of the single monuments scattered throughout the cemetery I never realised there was a dedicated CWGC area. Next time I'm in Oxford I'll have a gander.

Trajan

It has a good number of German graves from WW2 and a number of 1914 graves of Belgians -

Botley_Belgian.jpg

Botley is lovely and has Dutch, Italian, Polish, German graves as well.

Over 700 in the cemetery.

Croydon Mitcham road has an area right next to where the lanfranc boys plane disaster are buried, consists of mainly airmen.

And I went to Southampton Hollybrook cemetery where i went last week has a section for WW1 and WW2.

Orpington (All Saints) Churchyard and Extension in SE London/Kent with an interesting addition to the Cross of Sacrifice

Sorry, if the "interesting addition" you refer to above is the inscription, I can't read the words ... what does it say, please?

Thank you.

Parkhurst military cemetery, Isle of Wight.

Served the extensive Albany barracks complex nearby.

Tangent - it is in this area that General Wolfe is thought (local legend?) to have gathered his troops before sailing for Quebec.

I wonder why the Cross of Sacrifice is at Hatfield Park Cemetery I understood it was erected when there was 40 CWGC burials only 21 at Hatfield.