Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt P A M Eynaud - King's Own Malta Regiment

Hello

On 1st Sep 1915 Lt P A M Eynaud of the King's Own Malta Regt joined the 7th (Service) Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers at Gallipoli. He was wounded 2 weeks later on 15th Sep 1915. It seems he later died (aged 32) with the Royal Munster Fusiliers in France on 21st March 1918. (CWGC details below). Does anyone have any further information on this man or other members of his original Regiment - The King's Own Malta Regiment - in WWI?

Regards MG

Name: EYNAUD

Initials:P A M

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:King's Own Malta Regiment

Secondary Regiment:Royal Munster Fusiliers (attached)

Date of Death:21/03/1918

Additional information:Son of Stephen M. and Emma Eynaud, of "Rockyvale," St. Julian's, Malta.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial

Reference: III. E. 17.

Cemetery:EPEHY WOOD FARM CEMETERY, EPEHY

Can't help with much more than his full name, I'm afraid:-

Name: Percy Alfred Micallef Eynaud

Regiment or Corps: Att'd 2/R Muns Fus

I also note this man (also based in Malta), who may well be related and it could perhaps be double-barrelled:-

Name: A W Micallef-Eynaud

Regiment or Corps:1st Battalion KOMRM

ETA: found this thread "I think he would have been attached to the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers as they were defending Epehy on 21 March at the start of the German offensive" complete with a picture of his headstone: Link

MG

Only one file for Officer under this name and that's Capt AW Micallef-Eynard as selected by Verrico. No sign,or at least no search result,for Percy. The file is WO374/23362.

There are two with just the name Micallef,one in WO339 and one in WO374,and seemingly none with the name Eynard.

Sotonmate

MG

Only one file for Officer under this name and that's Capt AW Micallef-Eynard as selected by Verrico. No sign,or at least no search result,for Percy. The file is WO374/23362.

There are two with just the name Micallef,one in WO339 and one in WO374,and seemingly none with the name Eynard.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate - many thanks. I wonder if this is because he (Eynard) was in the King's Own Malta Regiment - any idea if the Malta records are at TNA or were they transferred to Malta at some stage? MG

I wonder if this is because he (Eynard) was in the King's Own Malta Regiment...

Micaleff-Eynard was KOMR too, so would have expected any records for Eynard to also be at Kew.

• 3 years later...
Guest PeterBonnici

Martin G

Hi. What sort of info are you seeking on P.A. Micallef-Eynaud?

I believe that he was my grandfather's cousin.

PB.

• 2 years later...

Percy Alfred Micallef-Eynaud   but in army records as   P A M  Eynaud.

This article in The Times of Malta 

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20141109/life-features/Malta-and-its-protagonists-during-World-War-I.543420

"Lieutenant P.A. Micallef Eynaud, King’s Own Malta Regiment (KOMR), and Lieutenant W.R. Gatt were brought to Malta from the Dardanelles suffering from wounds and from dysentery respectively."

(Also mentions  Henry Parnis, William Parnis, Richard Agius, Edgar Agius, Frederick Samut, Arthur Samut, Leonard Samut, Joseph Muscat ... all related to me!).

Message me for more info on  Micallef-Eynaud,

Peter

8 hours ago, QGE said:

Thanks to all who have responded. I think I now have everything I need. MG

I have recently been loaned a great collection of WW1 letters of Charles Asphar by his niece Helen Tomkins nee Caruana-Galizia ,  1st cousin of Peter married to Daphne C-G.   He was a good friend of my g-uncle Richard Agius killed 100 years ago at Passchendaele.   He also talks a lot about his good friend  P.A.  and details that he was with the 2nd Munster Fusiliers  and killed sometime before mid-April 1918 at  Tetard Wood.   And that has led me to identifying P.A.  as  Percy Alfred Micallef-Eynaud  killed 21st March 1918.

He was listed on the Malta National War Memorial unveiled in 1938 in Floriana  but the names were removed after WW2 when the Memorial was moved and re-designed to cover  all military and civilian casualties in two world wars.     

23456525_1700039140068782_8741438261696921626_o.jpg

9 hours ago, QGE said:

Thanks to all who have responded. I think I now have everything I need. MG

MG -  Have you got  "Malta During the British Era"   written by  his nephew   Maurice H Micallef-Eynaud    who served with distinction in WW2 and got an MBE?

Lots of detail about P.A.    who was known as  Uncle Alfred in the family.

9 hours ago, QGE said:

CWGC record has his mother recorded incorrectly.  She was Anna Floeck from Koblenz  , Germany.  

From "Malta During the British Era"

by Maurice Micallef-Eynaud MBE

The number  of Maltese casualties in the Great War was considerable. A total of 592 all ranks were killed or died on active service, of whom 11 were officers. The Gallipoli campaign and the Allied offensive  on the Greek and Bulgarian fronts claimed quite a few Maltese lives. From the 2nd Battalion, KOMRM, which volunteered for service in Cyprus in 1915,  a number of the officers and other ranks volunteered for active service. My uncle, Lieutenant Percy Alfred Micallef Eynaud, 29, and Lieutenant Herbert Hubert, 26, were seconded to the Royal Munster Fusiliers and the Inniskilling Fusiliers respectively. Uncle Alfred, who was posted to the 1st Battalion of the Munsters,  took part in the assault on V Beach, Cape Helles. His battalion landed from specially rigged ramps on the hull of a decrepit steamer, the River Clyde, causing the troops to run the gauntlet of Turkish machine-gun fire as they waded in deep water to reach the shore. It was a massacre: only three out of 24 officers were unscathed and my uncle was one of them. In a subsequent assault he was severely wounded in the leg, and was evacuated by hospital ship to Malta. The battalion was reduced to little more than company strength.

After treatment in Malta, in 1915, Uncle Alfred rejoined the Royal Munster Fusiliers, and was posted to the 2nd Battalion in France, whichwas deployed in defensive positions close to Epehy. On March 21, 1918, General Hindenburg launched a final desperate assault, on a broad front, against the British Fourth and Fifth Armies. In this Kaiserschlact (as it came to be known) the German Army broke through the defensive positions, and British casualties were very heavy indeed. Uncle Alfred was killed while gallantly leading a counter-attack on Malassise Farm, just outside Epehy. He was the fourth and last KOMRM seconded officer to lose his life in the Great War.

One has to take one's hat off to these gallant men from Malta. My initial interest was piqued by why and how an Officer from Malta ends up with the RMF in Gallipoli. You couldn't make it up. Knights of Malta fighting the good fight etc. The stuff of films. I can see him drawing a broadsword that had been sheathed for 500 years...

Someone clearly needs to write a book on Malta''s Contribution to the Great War.  Some of the other Islands have buried histories that have been subsumed in the sharp-elbowed clamour for recognition. Jersey and Guernsey sents whole companies to join British battalions for example. Perhaps there is potential for a linked thematic of Islanders: IOM and IOW spring to mind as well as the WI, Ceylon. Hong Kong. Singapore.... Scilly? Lundy?

I am not quite sure a GC was sufficient for Malta. I might start a petition for a retropsective VC. After all you couldn't run away from the enemy in WWII and had to stand and fight. Something for which UK and the EU should be eternally grateful for.

Edited by Guest

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...