Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

K of K title becomes extinct

George Armstrong Custer

saw that in this morning's Tottygraph, George. Shame in a way, but there it is, I suppose. Nothing lasts forever.

We'll always have the poster ...

As you say, Steve, it's the way the cookie crumbles. Coincidentally, it looks as if the current Earl Haig of Bemersyde, also the third of the line, will be the last to hold that title, too. I wonder if the forthcoming monarchical changes, which will see a first born female royal given precedence in the succession, will have a knock-on effect in the peerage, and allow such titles to survive as a matter of course through the female line without recourse to special dispensation.

George

Personally, I see no good reason why femal inheritance should be a problem in this day and age.

Personally, I see no good reason why female inheritance should be a problem in this day and age.

If it had been in force in 1901, Queen Victoria would have been succeeded by her eldest grandchild, as King William V (II of Germany) and there might not have been a war in 1914. Not against Germany, anyway: I think France might have been the one fighting a two-front war!

(Victoria's eldest child, Vicky aka Empress Frederick, died in 1900.)

Ron

Of the peerages for war services, those of Jellicoe, Beatty, and Allenby are still on the trot.

Simon

I think the whole issue of peerages and unelected peers, heriditary or not having a say in our legislatation is ridiculous.

One less rival for me then when I seek my peerage. Excellent.

It's interesting how many of the various peerages died out pretty much straight away - Horne, Rawlinson, Byng, amongst others. I know that the military careers of the British generals has been covered to some extent in recent scholarship, but what of the social dimension?

Simon