Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pt. Herman Douglas EVISON

GrahamC

Hi guys

:poppy: Pt. Herman Douglas EVISON - one of my local Memorial men, was killed in action on that fateful day, 1 July 1916.

He initially enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters - Number 31491 - before transferring to the Machine Gun Corps (70th Coy.) - Number 5689.

I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess, based on Service Numbers, when he enlisted (by comparisons I am verging towards Sept/Oct 1915) into which Battalion (6th ??) and when he might have transferred to the M.G.C.

Also - where were the 70th Coy M.G.C. on the first day of he Battle of the Somme?

Many thanks as ever and a Happy Christmas.

Graham

Just found THIS POST which helps a bit with what was happening on the 1st July. Following that logic the 11th S.F. seem favourite as it was in the same (70th) Brigade.

Edited by GrahamC

Graham, Private Evison joined the 3rd Battalion the Sherwood Foresters on the 20th October 1915, this was a training/holding Battalion.

He then transferred to the MGC on the 1st January 1916. BRONNO.

Graham, Private Evison joined the 3rd Battalion the Sherwood Foresters on the 20th October 1915, this was a training/holding Battalion.

He then transferred to the MGC on the 1st January 1916. BRONNO.

He may have also served with the 17th Btn (Welbeck Rangers) between the above postings.

Great, Bronno - had a feeling you'd know! Many thanks as always and a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS,

Graham