Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flanders Postcards

Cnock

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/kem1.jpg/]kem1.jpg[/url]

Quite a superb collection you have Cnock; again, thanks ever so much for sharing it with us.

If by chance you should ever come across contemporary photos of any of the following localities I'd be very interested to see them:

Chateau Des Trois Tours (near Brielen)

La Belle Alliance, Krupp and Hindenburg Farms (South and SSE of Pilkem)

The Cockcroft (near Langemarck)

All the best

Steve

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/popwk.jpg/]popwk.jpg[/url]

Quite rare to see a photo of civilian suffering.

Roel

Hi Steve,

thanks,

sorry, never seen postcards of the places You ask for

Roel, indeed quite a rare poscard (I think)

Cnock

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/hout2.jpg/]hout2.jpg[/url]

kem2i.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eddy

Was wondering where Suicide Corner was at Kemmel. Was it where the roundabout is now? That is possible as the Vicinal line south from Ypres passed down the west side of the road in the position shown on the photograph. Google Streetview shows the current scene well.

Bernard

PS excellent series of pictures/postcards

Hi Bernard,

cannot give You an immediate answer, will have to look on British maps Kemmel.

I don't think it was at the roundabout

Cheers,

Eddy

Here's the answer from the diary of private Frances James "Frank" Whiting from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, who re-visited the old battlefields in 1926:

"We went one night in Kemmel, staying at the café La Grande Polka on Suicide Corner..."

This pic shows café La Grande Polka. It also has the Vicinal-line as in the pic of suicide corner.

Although I still have some doubts I'd say this is at the present roundabout (but local experts may tell differently ofcourse).

Roel

post-5443-0-71956800-1327157514.jpg

Assuming Suicide Corner was where the roundabout is now I believe the original caption in post #146 was wrong. I don't think this spot shows Suicide Corner.

For a few reasons: the pic of Café La Grande Polka shows a house on the right side. The pic in post #146 shows trees on the same spot, which -judging by their size- have been there for quite some time already.

And there's the Vicinal-line. In post #146 the line appears to go straight ahead, instead of (also) taking a right like in the pic of the café.

Roel

Eddy and Roel

Having looked at a Britsh trench Map (dated 1918) I now believe that they show the same place except that the seconf picture showing the Vicinal stop is looking east to Messines (you can see the Vicinal connection to the Messines line curving from south the east. The picture by Cnock is looking north and as shown on the enclosed Trench Map, opposite the buildings on the east side was a wood. The Vicinal lines highlighted in blue.

Bernard

EDIT Aurel's postcard slipped in whilst i was preparing my response. I think it confirms my statement above.

post-23884-0-42551700-1327166904.jpg

Pic 2

Text going with it says :

Location known as Unhealthy Corner in English

Now : the Polka

Vicinal tramline in foreground = Ieper - Nieuwkerke

Road ahead : Reningelststraat

To the right : Chateau domain

Aurel

post-92-0-10780500-1327166979.jpg

Thanks Aurel. Does confirm the location

Moving onto other Postcards shown by Cnock - Houthulst

Enclosed is a combination Trench Map showing the cross roads in Houthulst with the road to Jonkershove going west and the road to Clerken going north. Again the Vicinal passed through the area and the Trench Maps shows other light railway lines and some war addtions. I believe the TM shows the position of the location of the second postcard but not sure in which direction the photographer was looking. I have looked along Clerken Road but as yet haven't found the location of the first Postcard.

Aurel or Eddy to the rescue

Bernard

post-23884-0-92811300-1327168969.jpg

Hi,

On second postcard the photographer was looking direction Jonkershove.

Cnock

jonk1.jpg

Cnock

Excellent post cards & prints, I have been researching my Great Uncles last known position and your pictures of Kemmel have really brought it to life for me, he was KIA in march 1915 many thanks for sharing these pictures

Graham