The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flanders Postcards

Cnock

Poelkapelle

the British tank in the village

005.jpg

19 hours ago, mebu said:

I don't think its a face. However, interestingly, the "pentagon frame" you mention is something I hadn't spotted. It is a manufactured steel protected observation post, which had probably been atop the concrete tower. There are still several existing to be found.

Pic attached for comparison (sorry it's poor quality b/w, on an incomplete OP on Wotanstellung near Vitry-en-Artois).

Another good pic Cnock.

img358.jpg

Peter,

thanks!

Poelkapelle

The land after the war with remains of horses and captured German howitzers.

006.jpg

008.jpg

Passendale

Broken arms and equipment still lying around the monument

009.jpg

Vlamertinge,

British engineers and German POW rebuilding houses

004.jpg

10 hours ago, Cnock said:

Passendale

Broken arms and equipment still lying around the monument

009.jpg

The times I have stood in front of this Monument. May I take a copy of this image Cnock? Never seen it before. 

Regards, Gary.

Gary (17107BM,)

no problem, You can take a copy!

Cnock

On 15/01/2019 at 15:30, Cnock said:

Poelkapelle

the British tank in the village

005.jpg

This is Damon II in which a gunner from Kenilworth, Corporal Dudley White, was killed.

You can read all about him and the tank on my website http://www.susantall.co.uk   Website a bit out of date now because in October 2017 a full scaled working replica of Damon II trundled into the village just as it did 100 years before. 

Edited by Susan Tall

Hello Susan.

Big thanks for posting your site, very interesting indeed. On my way back there now!

Regards.

Just to add my voice to others, a big thank you Cnock for these wonderful images.

My Grandfather (RE) spent a lot of time in Flanders (around Ypres, Kemmel, Neuve Eglise, Yser Canal, surrounding villages and up to Nieupoort). From research I found that a Great Uncle was in some of the same places as well as family cousins. I am finding it fascinating to see these pictures of places they would have been.

On 14/01/2019 at 19:35, Ex-boy said:

Is it my imagination, or is there a face in the picture, on the lower left, inside the pentagon shaped 'frame' of wood and twisted metal?

If I am looking at the same 'shape' I see a face too but on the close-up it turns into a boot!! Imagination turning an unknown shape into a known object.

Margaret

Margosh,

thanks, glad You liked the postcards

Cnock

Dear Cnock,

Yes, thanks for posting these too, from me.

They graphically underline what book critic Brian Masters wrote in 1981 (commenting on Vera Brittain's "Chronicle of Youth"):-

'It can never be said too often that the First World War was a vile, stinking mess, a stupid and disgusting massacre of men caught up in the incompetent tangle of international politics (and the best books of this war are those that say so plainly).'

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim,

thanks;

As a Frenchman said: war is the massacre of people who doesn't know each other, at the profit of people who knows each other and doesn't massacre among them

Cnock.

23 hours ago, Cnock said:

007.jpg

Interesting mix of hardware lying around in this image. Wondering what the metal 'box' like object with three cylindrical hole and rounded corners lying between the two bits of elephant iron might have been, although more sophisticated than the wooden crates also shown, a carrier for munitions of some type?

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

• 3 weeks later...

Nieuwpoort.

Old powder storage building in the 'Grand Redan' that resisted to German artillery shells.

The British called it 'Rubber House'

regards,

Cnock

d09cf838f17bf6ebb0938b04a7b7fc6c.jpg

First train over the repaired mole at Zeebrugge in 1919

Julian542218-021919.jpg.7211ad114f1668e28eb703a81fe73358.jpg