Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any survivors ofb company of the seventh battalion black watch

margaretdufay

am looking for survivors of b company of the seventh battalion of the black watch. my great uncle died between the 21 and 26th march 1918, I have read the field diaries, but I would be really interested to hear from anybody whose family were present there, or might have any documentation relating to this period.

this is such a great forum for people giving their time and help

br

margaret

Margaret,

Not survivors of 7th BW, my rellies were 1/8th Argylls. A map of the area of action for 51st HD is in ' A Medico's Luck in the War' by Colonel David Rorie

ISBN 1-8432-657-9 available from Naval and Military Press. David Rorie was the Chiefn Medical Officer for 51st and became a GP in the Highlands after the War.

Aye

Malcolm

Hello Margaret

I was looking at your thread for survivors, and I remember a previous post I made about causualties list from a lovely lady called Carol. She has lists of Scottish Regiments from the Scotsman newspaper archives that could be just what you are looking for and here is that thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161593&hl= the scotsman &st=0

this should be worth a Try Magaret

best wishes

Ian

Hi Margaret,

The best way to find survivors of the 7th, I've found so far, for these dates is to look at the casualties of the action. A wounded man (a survivor, unless he subsequently dies from wounds) will tend to have a note of his company on the casualty list for the dates, in the war diary. How to find out about those who survived the action unscathed? Virtually nil, unless they are specifically mentioned in some bit of official paper somewhere, or you have private documents. ie personal letters, etc. which "might" mention which company he was in.

I'm currently trying to do a similar thing to you, but my focus is on the 7th's part in the battle for Beaumont Hamel in 1916.

So, that being said, one survivor who came through those dates unscathed was my grandfather. Private James McLeod McNeil MM, 4214, 291244. Which company he was in? I don't know. He may have been in B Company, but then again he may not have been. I may never know.

Anyhoo, the best of luck to you with the search. You'll need it. :)

Cheers

Colin (KOF)

Hi Margaret,

Kinda no, kinda yeah.

My grandfather was actually born near Elgin, but the family moved to Fife prior to the out break of war. So, he wasn't "technically" from Fife, but definitely defined himself as a "Fifer".

I hope this "kinda" answers the question. :)

Cheers

Colin (KOF)