Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Peake

Diane E

I am trying to find out which regiment my grandfather Arthur Peake served in during WW! He was born in Yorkshire in 1892 and was living in Fleetwood Lancs when war broke out. I have a copy of a photo of him taken towards the end of 1914, but am unable to distinguish any badges. He is not wearing his cap. he has one stripe. At the top of his left sleeve there seems to be a badge but I can't make it out. Ancestry does not have his service record. There are many medal cards for "Arthur Peake" but it is imposible to know which one may be his. The only other thing I know about him is that during ww11 he was a Major in the Home Guard but I have no idea where.

Any suggestions as to the next step?

Diane

Hello and Welcome Cape Town 1

to the great war forum, Try here for help towards your research http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm Diane you could upload his picture and the members are very good at finding out what unit by looking at the uniform. give it a try and see what they turn up

Best regards

Ian

Hello and Welcome Cape Town 1

to the great war forum, Try here for help towards your research http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm Diane you could upload his picture and the members are very good at finding out what unit by looking at the uniform. give it a try and see what they turn up

Best regards

Ian

Hi Ian unfortunately the interactive site is not available at present. I will keep checking. Thanks for the info.

regards and compliments of the season

Diane

Diane

There are indeed many MICs for Arthur Peake ! Was this his only Christian name ? If so there is a chance of eliminating a fair few of them. If he was sporting a stripe on his uniform in 1914 we can almost certainly discount around eight of the names as they didn't enter a war zone until after 1915.This isn't necessarily correct but likely. You say that he lived in Lancs when war broke out. There are two MICs for Lancs Regts but only one of them had pre-1915 war service,he of the Kings Own Royal Lancasters, 16955 Private Arthur Peake. Again it doesn't mean that he had to join a local Regiment.Another MIC shows an Arthur as a Private in the ASC who later (1917) became an Officer in the Cheshires. Other possible with a 1915 entry to war:

15927 Private Arthur of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

13629 Corporal Arthur of the South Staffordshires but discharged to Wounds/sickness in 1917.

P601489 AOC Arthur but was in Bombay in 1919

The above are all just Arthur. You might have some more info which helps with elimination to a shorter list of possibles,or makes it easier because he has a second forename. Also take Ian's advice and get your photo on the screen !

Sotonmate

Thanks for the info. I had trouble downloading a photo but it seems to be working now

Diane

Diane

There are indeed many MICs for Arthur Peake ! Was this his only Christian name ? If so there is a chance of eliminating a fair few of them. If he was sporting a stripe on his uniform in 1914 we can almost certainly discount around eight of the names as they didn't enter a war zone until after 1915.This isn't necessarily correct but likely. You say that he lived in Lancs when war broke out. There are two MICs for Lancs Regts but only one of them had pre-1915 war service,he of the Kings Own Royal Lancasters, 16955 Private Arthur Peake. Again it doesn't mean that he had to join a local Regiment.Another MIC shows an Arthur as a Private in the ASC who later (1917) became an Officer in the Cheshires. Other possible with a 1915 entry to war:

15927 Private Arthur of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

13629 Corporal Arthur of the South Staffordshires but discharged to Wounds/sickness in 1917.

P601489 AOC Arthur but was in Bombay in 1919

The above are all just Arthur. You might have some more info which helps with elimination to a shorter list of possibles,or makes it easier because he has a second forename. Also take Ian's advice and get your photo on the screen !

Sotonmate

post-86277-0-05943400-1324628600.jpg

Diane

I extracted the photo and re-sized it,but it becomes blurred with pixilation !

You should go down the list of subjects here and at the bottom of the page there is a website technical area where you will find a subject on members photos posted.

Sotonmate

Thanks I will do that. I do have a better picture which shows some sort of emblem at the top of the sleeve. I have tried to magnify it but it is not very clear.

My grandfather had only the one name Arthur. Tha lancashire fusiliers is a good bet as they were formed in Bury. My grandmother died in the 1918 flu epidemic and in 1919 my grandfather married a lady from Bury. Coincidence//////////. My mother was brought up by her aunt which probably explains the lack of photos.

thanks again

Diane

Diane

But the Lancashire Fusilier was a post-1915 entry to war,a possibility of course,but if he was a Lance Corporal in 1914 I doubt he was still in the UK at the start of 1916 when the Lancs Fus soldier joined the fray at some time in that year !

Sotonmate

Diane

But the Lancashire Fusilier was a post-1915 entry to war,a possibility of course,but if he was a Lance Corporal in 1914 I doubt he was still in the UK at the start of 1916 when the Lancs Fus soldier joined the fray at some time in that year !

Sotonmate

Thanks. I did think coincidence might be too good to be true. he wasn't in the army in Jan 1914 when he married my mother. The marriage certificate says fish packer. My mother was born on the 27th Aug 1914 and in the photo she is not very old. I have placed the photo on photobucket http//s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h404/dianee4. Hopefully you will be able to see it. I am sure that there is an emblem on the top of the sleeve. However I have been told that this wasn't usual.

thanks again

Diane

It'll take a while before they are done, but The National Archives will be digitising the Home Guard records (there's a thread on the forum shortly). There's a question on the enlistment form about previous military service, so if all else fails, wait a bit, and you may be able to find out more

Diane

I looked at the pic and it is quite grainy when expanded and no ID other than L/Corporal stripe.

Sotonmate

It'll take a while before they are done, but The National Archives will be digitising the Home Guard records (there's a thread on the forum shortly). There's a question on the enlistment form about previous military service, so if all else fails, wait a bit, and you may be able to find out more

Many thanks. Hopefully that will help. I have a ww2 photo of my grandfather in uniform wearing his cap which shows a badge. As yet I haven' been able to identify it. I think the Home Guard record will be my last resort. I have just found out that the Royal Field Artillery were actively recruiting in Fleetwood and I will persue that

Diane.

Diane

I looked at the pic and it is quite grainy when expanded and no ID other than L/Corporal stripe.

Sotonmate

Thanks for looking at the photo. I have used a programme today to try and identify what seems to be something on the sleeve. As you say it gets grainy. I will keep trying

Diane