Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R M Owen 19th Pioneer battalion Welsh regiment

MartinCJ

I am trying to find out more information about an elusive relative

Robert Morgan Owen was my Great Grandmothers second husband who was aged 50 in 1914 but was in the 19th Pioneer Battalion (Glamorgan Volunteers) Welsh Regiment and Labour corps throughout WW1

I have one very good picture of him taken in France during that time

When he came back from the war in 1919 he returned to the family home at 21 Picton Street Kenfig Hill Nr Bridgend South wales, but wasnt the same man like many others i am sure. One day a few years later he just disappeared and despite searchs made by my grandfather he was never found, a case of PTSD i should imagine.

I have searched census records in 1901 but cannot find him and similiary i can find no record of his death, i do know he married my great grandmother in 1908 in Bridgend South Wales and his occupation at the time was listed as miner

Due to his age i wondered if he had previous military experience and would be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction where i could try to establish this

I would also be greatful for any info on his unit

His medal card gives the following information

Welsh Regiment Corporal 31145

Labour corps private 454850

daet of disembarkation 5/12/15

Name : OWEN Robert Morgan

Registration District : Pembroke.

Registration County : Pembrokeshire

Year :1867.

Quarter : Oct., Nov., Dec.

Volume : 11A

Page : 727.

1911 Census.

Pentwyn Waun Y Mer Pyle.

Robert Morgan Owen Cosheston. Pembrokeshire.

Eliza Jane Owen.( Colwill) Pyle Glamorgan.

Alice Maud Colwill stepdaughter. 20 Pyle Glamorgan.

Rachel Gertrude Colwill stepdaughter 17 Pyle Glamorgan.

Bob

The 19th Bn was the Pioneer Bn of the 38th (Welsh) Div, this from the Long Long Trail gives an outline of the Div's War http://www.1914-1918.net/38div.htm the 19th was formed in Colwyn Bay which is as you know was the opposite end of Wales to Bridgend, there were 5 other Bn's of the Welsh Regt in the 38th Div.

10th formed in the Rhondda Valley

13th and 16th formed in Cardiff

14th formed in Swansea

15th formed in Carmarthenshire

It's probable he joined one of these Bn's (most likely 14th) and due to his age and mining background was transferred to the 19th before the Div moved to France between 21st Nov and 6th Dec which ties in with his Medal Card Date.

Sam

A couple of possibles.

1901 Census.

24 Rugby Road Ashford Kent.

Robert Owen - Widower - 33 - Labourer engine - Cosheston Pembrokeshire.

Death Registration??

Robert M Owen

Registration District Hiraethog.

Year of Registration 1941.

Quarter Jan Feb Mar.

Age 73

Volume 11b

Page 1188

Thank you both for the information thats excellent

That is defeinetly him in the 1911 census as thats the only one i can track him down on

i did manage to get a copy of the wedding certificate and it gave his age as 44 in 1908

The other info does give me something to chase up on and is greatly appreaciated

I would love to find out what became of him as i do have one very elderly aunt who has vague recollections of him and she would love to know what happended to him

Bob looks to be bang on with the 1901 census and the 1941 Death entry, best thing to do is order a copy of the Death entry, it should note an address, his marital status and most importantly who registered the death, the latter may explain why he was there (child maybe?).

By the 1901 census Bob quotes, it also seems like you're looking for an earlier marriage for him, possibly in England.

Sam

I do not agree with Roughdiamond when he said it was common for Pioneer Battalions to be transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917. This did not happen, I think he is confusing Pioneer Battalions with Labour Battalions. Two very different animals.

His Labour Corps number of 454850 indicates that he was transferred to UK based company which suggests he had been returned to the UK due to either an injury or illness. At present I cannot link his number to aspecific Labour Corps company.

Regards

Ivor

I do not agree with Roughdiamond when he said it was common for Pioneer Battalions to be transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917. This did not happen, I think he is confusing Pioneer Battalions with Labour Battalions. Two very different animals.

You are of course correct Ivor and I've edited my post.

Sam

Not on my (incomplete) 14th Welsh roll. Not to say he didn't serve with that unit though, so little help I'm afraid.

Bernard