Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help identify uniform please?

Guest bollada

Guest bollada

Hi

This is a photo of my great uncle John Joseph Kershaw (known as Jack) who served in the Great War. He was born in 1882 so would have been 32-36 at the time - can anyone help identify the uniform?

post-23-1090996046.jpg

His Cap Badge suggests one of the Artillery Regiments,the fact he is mounted might suggest he was a Driver[A quick search of the Medal Index Cards on line give just ONE John J.Kershaw: Gunner 153614 Royal Garrison Artillery,however there are a handful of John Kershaws with no second name listed in both the RGA & RFA,asa Gunner or Driver.{Only 17 John Kershaws in all though which helps}]

Bollada,

You might want to know that the photo pre dates WWI by quite a few years.

The Jacket is of a type actually introduced about 11 years before the war. It was not withdrawn from Service until 1908.

There are arched cloth shoulder titles which I believe say RFA (not too clear). If you enlarge the shoulder area you may be able to read the the title better.

The cap was introduced in 1905.

The photo itself will probably date 1906 to 1907.

Joe Sweeney

Guest Graham McInnes

Bollada

I dont know much about horse furniture it appears to have a rope attached to the reigns, but the horse is a classic RHA/RFA one. Short nose denoting a sturdy not highly strung horse and short legs for galloping in traces without hitting the one behind.

graham

the rope you mentioned is not atached to the reins but to the headstal and was used to tie the horse or to place it in a picketline. Headstall and sadle were in use with cavalry and mounted artilerie, mostly all mounted corps. As seeing capbadge and five pouche bandolier, must be artillerie.

coo-ee

patrick