Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Field Service

kenneth505

Am visiting an in-law who it turns out had a father in the American Field Service. I've found Gentlemen Volunteers: The Story of the American Ambulance Drivers in the Great War by Arlen J. Hansen online in google books. (What a tool!) but wondered if there were any threads on the GWF that I could review for him. Specifically this fellow drove ambulances in the French sector before American entry. Champagne region is about all I have to go on now.

Am visiting an in-law who it turns out had a father in the American Field Service. I've found Gentlemen Volunteers: The Story of the American Ambulance Drivers in the Great War by Arlen J. Hansen online in google books. (What a tool!) but wondered if there were any threads on the GWF that I could review for him. Specifically this fellow drove ambulances in the French sector before American entry. Champagne region is about all I have to go on now.

I have been researching two men with similar careers and have built up a reasonable reference library including some fairly rare material. I hope to publish something on this at some point soon.

I think you will probably find

THIS LINKuseful

and also PERHAPS THIS

and of course THIS ONE!

If you click on the Library Link on the lower right you will find a large number of sources - bit annoying as I spent a lot of $$ collecting them for my research

Who was your chap?

Chris

• 2 months later...
Guest AFSgrandson

Chris,

I too had a member of the family in France in 1917 driving an Ambulance for the AFS. He was in the Verdun sector (SSU 15). He brought back quite a few photos, diaries, maps and lots of ephemera. We should talk...

Sincerely,

AFSgrandson

I have been researching two men with similar careers and have built up a reasonable reference library including some fairly rare material. I hope to publish something on this at some point soon.

I think you will probably find

THIS LINKuseful

and also PERHAPS THIS

and of course THIS ONE!

If you click on the Library Link on the lower right you will find a large number of sources - bit annoying as I spent a lot of $ collecting them for my research

Who was your chap?

Chris