Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed

whaley

Really need some help on this one.

An old box has emerged from a relatives attic, in it was this photograph. My grandfather was a Capt. in the 9th Essex (1915-1919) and the box belonged to him. The chap in this photo, however, doesn't seem to be wearing an Essex cap badge. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten name: Garcia. And that is just about it.

I would be grateful for any assitance in identifying the regiment, and by any miracle possibly the young man in the photograph.

Thanks

Marco

GARCIA.pdf

It would help perhaps if you could give a larger image of the cap badge.

Keith

Hello Marco,

Wouldn't like to say without a closer look, but is it the Northhamptonshire Regiment?

Rich

Or maybe Northhamptonshire Regiment?

Rich

Its not Northamptons the 'negative' shape in the centre is wrong.

It looks like the Hampshire Regiment

• Admin

There are 30 MIC entries for garcia on Ancestry. None Essex or Northants. The cap badge looks a bit cat and cabage like there is a Y&L Garcia.

Michele

How come I managed to type the same Regiment in twice? Dunno what my brain was thinking there, and cannot for the ife of me think what I was meant to put! I did think Y&L but it looks as if the Cat would of been on something in the snap

Rich

Then I thought it looked a bit like a reared horse of lion of some sort

Rich

Hi Marco,

It could be 1st South African Infantry Brigade--White metal ring with a gazelle's head(or such like?) in the centre.

Robert

If you increase the zoom on the photo of the soldier to 600% and look at the negative shapes within the wreath of the cap badge you can see an 'L' shape on the left side and a reversed one on the right side which corespond with the negative shapes on the Hampshire Regt. below. You will also notice the horizontal line beneath the tiger which is resting on the rose. A subtle kink below the wreath indicates the Hampshire banner.

150px-Hampshire_Regiment_Badge.jpg

Agreed. I got it to zoom as well and fully concur with Maude. Hampshire Regt.

New Hampshire it is.

Thanks to all of you for having taken a look at the photo and for coming up in record time with the name of the regiment. I will hopefully find a MIC for him, then from there the connection to grandfather.

thanks again

Marco

Your welcome Marco, I've been helped enormously on this forum with regards to questions about my grandfather, so its nice to be able to help someone else. Anyway those sort of visual puzzles are right up my street!

Hope you do make a link.

Anne

• Admin

No MICs for a Garcia in the Hampshire Regiment on Ancestry.

Michelle

Michelle,

Could it be that he never deployed overseas? and would that explain him no having a MIC?

There is a Captain Garsia in the Hampshire Regiment, dont know if this is any help but thought l would let you know just in case.

Alan

Alan, you could be on to something there. Garcia turned up blank, maybe there is a spelling mistake. The fact that they both held the rank of Captain at some point could be the connection. I'm pretty sure this is not a relative, not sure if the Hampshire Regiment ever joined forces with the 9th Essex, so maybe they got their pips at the same time...who knows?

Another twist to the story. A further scan of a photograh(taken from the same box) has now been given to me, again with Garcia written on the back (this latest photograph was apparently taken in Paris), the two soldiers do look a like, could they be brothers? They are not from the same regiment either. Any idea?

Garcias.pdf