Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1936/38 Hill 60

stripeyman

George Watson was a photographic contributor to the three volume Twenty Years After c.1938. I have rediscovered negatives relating to this publication. I have had some of these before on GWF under the topic Watson Bunker Photos, so here we go again with Hill 60.

The train is passing where there is now a bridge but then there was just steps, the view is to the north west, Battle Wood is over to the left. More of these Hill 60 photos later.

post-18171-0-70044300-1324337143.jpg

Thanks Bob, looking forward to the other pics.

Wasn't there a discussion about a year ago about a bridge being in place (or not) at Hill 60 when the Germans again visited the area in may 1940?

Perhaps this photo provides the answer...

Roel

It's a steam engine. Luv it! And, to think of the track where the shot was taken from...very special.

Likewise, waiting for the next shot.

Regards, Peter

Excellent pic and indeed it does answer the question of whether a civil road bridge was in place in May 1940 but as per the existance of a temporary military bridge, whether British or German will no doubt run and run.

I also look forward to seeing more pics!

• Admin

More photos please Bob!

Michelle

I think this photo appears in 'Twenty Years After' but for those unfortunate creatures who do not have it on their bookshelves here it is......

The trees have not grown to the state we see them now and the QVR memorial has about two years to go before it is damaged.

Steps, yes the steps, no bridge, as will be confirmed in another view later.

post-18171-0-63462500-1324415249.jpg

Bob, these are superb pics and I relish seeing more! Thank you for posting these.

However, I fear the possibility of a military bridge is being overlooked here. During the last week of May 1940, several military bridges were installed in the locality especially by German combat engineers. Bridges appeared across the Yser canal, Comines canal and at the Menin and Lille Gate entrances. Why not at Hill 60?

Due to these excellent pics we can now without doubt prove there was no civil bridge at Hill 60 in May 1940 but to simply state there was no bridge has not yet been proven!

I feel since speaking with with the management at the nearby Palingbeke golf course that there could have been a military bridge of sorts and other forum members who posted on this very subject also believe a military structure of sorts may well have been erected here. Some do not however.

As I said, the civil bridge question has since been solved: I still await solid evidence that there was or was not any bridge/structure at this site during the last few days of May 1940.

Excellent pics and excellent topic!

* I have just spotted something. It was revealed in the earlier thread by Hugh.

The bunker at bottom left of the Memorial today is destroyed and in pieces. In this pic it looks complete. Severe 1940 artillery damage which also blew up the nearby British Memorial or deliberate destruction in the 50's and 60's whatever. Incredible pics revealing many unanswered questions I believe.

This view certainly shows the steps on the far side of the cutting. note that there is only a path, no roadway. It is of course possible that the German Army did construct a bridge but unlikely in the action of May 1940. There would be no tactical requirement for this, the cutting is shallow and tapers away in both directions after 200 yards. Perhaps during the years of occupation a military bridge was installed, maybe to keep idle solders doing something, who would ever know. Photographic evidence showing the bridge is needed to prove that it was constucted, so where is it ?

I will post a close up of the debated area later, glad you all like the photos more to come...........

post-18171-0-81626100-1324501917.jpg

Hi Bob and Chris,

Can you please help me re the direction of the image with the Cafe HILL 60, is it North-East or South-West? I presume this photo was taken from the roof of a structure, perhaps from a section of the then Cafe roof.

The later image shows the Australian 1st Tunnelling Company Memorial, so this one is easy. The carpark has yet to arrive and, we have an open field where the newly constructed house now stands.

Tks, Peter

Peter

Direction of the view from the cafe/museum is South East.

On this close up a woman and a man can be seen, the far steps are very clear.

post-18171-0-41931300-1324543540.jpg

Bob, these pics are truly fantastic and confirm much!

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Perhaps just as your pics eventually arrived and confirmed that no civil bridge was in evidence at this date period, maybe one day a military bridge pic may surface likewise. I agrree that photo evidence is now required.

I look forward to seeing more of these superb photographs.

Chris

This view certainly shows the steps on the far side of the cutting. note that there is only a path, no roadway. It is of course possible that the German Army did construct a bridge but unlikely in the action of May 1940. There would be no tactical requirement for this, the cutting is shallow and tapers away in both directions after 200 yards. Perhaps during the years of occupation a military bridge was installed, maybe to keep idle solders doing something, who would ever know. Photographic evidence showing the bridge is needed to prove that it was constucted, so where is it ?

I will post a close up of the debated area later, glad you all like the photos more to come...........

Australian Tunnellers Memorial on the left methinks.

Great pics!

What great pictures - post as many as you can!

Roger

I think this is the view over the railway cutting towards Battle Wood with Hollebeke Church on the horizon. The white posts being the edge of the cutting.

post-18171-0-66861500-1324677055.jpg

Along with Hugh's posts/photos, these new pics really do confirm that the May 1940 German artilery bombardment/bombing of Hill 60 was truly huge as also confirmed by war diary revelations of the British Battalions who held the hill and nearby railway embankments.

The destroyed British War Memorial, damaged Australian memorial and alteration of the bunkers/geography of the hill is testament to this.

These really are superb photos and confirm much!

This view appears to be due North as there is no plaque showing on the QVR monument. There is a sign board at the foot of the left hand post.

post-18171-0-93382600-1325185721.jpg