Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Military Transformed? Transformation and Innovation in the British M

RossM

I thought I would bring you news of a book that may be of interest to members.

I just signed the contract for my first book. It is a edited collection of essays from a symposium I organised in April. I will be writing one of the chapters as well as editing with two colleagues of mine, Stuart Mitchell and Dr Michael LoCicero. The book deal with the issue of innovation in the British military. You can read a bit more here:

From Symposium to Book… « Birmingham "On War"

The book should be out in 2013 and will be published by Helion and Company. The following chapters will be of most interest to readers here, you may even recognise some of the names:

• Dr Spencer Jones (University of Wolverhampton) 'The Thin Khaki Line: The Evolution of Infantry Attack Formations in the British Army 1899-1914'
  • Dr Peter Grant (Cass Business School, City University) 'Learning to Manage the Army: The Army Administration Course at the London School of Economics'
  • Martin Gibson (University of Glasgow) 'The Royal Navy's Adoption of Oil Before the First World War'
  • James Pugh (University of Birmingham) 'Naval Wing Good, Military Wing Bad? An Orwellian inspired analysis of British Aviation Doctrine, 1912-1914'
  • Aimeé Fox-Godden (University of Birmingham) '"Hopeless Inefficiency"? The Operational Performance and Transformation of Brigade Staff, 1916-1918'
  • Simon Justice (University of Birmingham) 'Vanishing Battalions: The Nature, Impact and Implications of British Infantry Reorganisation prior to the German Spring Offensives of 1918'

I will be blogging the project, and all thoughts are welcomed.

Ross

Looking forward to seeing this one as it a conference I missed. Looking forward to Simon Justice's paper in particular. good luck.

Charles

Thank you Charles. It will be an interesting and exciting project.

Ross

• 2 months later...

I have just posted Spencer's abstract here. Comments are welcomed.

Ross

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ross, looking forward to seeing Aimee's paper too.

Charles

Thank you Charles. I am looking forward to editing them.

Ross