Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Don't want to divert too far from the vehicle theme of the thread - but here for interest is a pic of men of the 25th London with just the same stars - and a nice Maxim

Mike

Mike,

A great photo that ties in with the recruiting poster, and thank you for the information on the ' Simplex ' gun.

Regards,

LF

N I didn't study it enough during quick forum fix and had assumed a Vickers. Before noting MikeH's comment I was about to correct myself and make the suggestion that it was a Simplex body used as protection but I had no idea about the gun. Not expert enough to go further than that. Great shot though.

No, I didn't study it enough during quick forum fix and had assumed a Vickers. Before noting MikeH's comment I was about to correct myself and make the suggestion that it was a Simplex body used as protection but I had no idea about the gun. Not expert enough to go further than that. Great shot though.

Attached is another photo of the 25th ( London ) Cyclist Battalion with their Auto Carrier Tricars.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07898200-1406644569_thumb.j

From the attached 2 photographs published in a copy of the ' Boy's Own ' magazine in 1915, we can see that the 25th Cyclist Battalion ( The London Regiment ) were also using conventional 4-wheel vehicles to carry their Maxim machine guns, the photo caption refers to the vehicles as being ' taxi-cab chassis ', which could be early Crossleys.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-89707000-1406723845_thumb.j

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-49730800-1406723977_thumb.j

How about a "Mechanical Foster Mother" .Automobile hydrogen generator for inflating airships and observation balloons of the French Army.

post-74029-0-78161700-1406736981_thumb.j

How about a "Mechanical Foster Mother" .Automobile hydrogen generator for inflating airships and observation balloons of the French Army.

Crumbs!! Looks like the circus has just come to town!

David

Edward1,

A very interesting photograph, which was published in a 1916 issue of ' The Illustrated War News '.

The British also used a mobile hydrogen gas generator ( photo attached ) which was significantly smaller than the massive French version. Although the British had and used the mobile hydrogen gas generator, the main method for filling Observation Balloons before WW1, and during WW1 and WW2, was by using hydrogen gas cylinders, which were transported to the balloon launching site.

Also Attached, are photographs of the hydrogen gas cylinders in use.

Regards,

LF

A British mobile hydrogen gas generator filling an observation balloon.

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-13751400-1406809801_thumb.j

Horse-drawn carts, bringing the hydrogen gas cylinders to the balloon filling site.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-38305700-1406810405_thumb.j

A unit of Royal Engineers, prepares to fill an observation balloon using hydrogen gas cylinders brought to the location by horse-drawn carts.

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-97159800-1406811149_thumb.j

post-63666-0-97221600-1406811254_thumb.j

The British used facilities, some of which appeared to be relatively small, both to manufacture the hydrogen gas, and also be the filling stations for the hydrogen gas cylinders.

The attached ' Hudson & Kearns ' photograph shows such a hydrogen gas plant, and we can also see the stacked hydrogen gas cylinders on the floor, and in the bottom right of the photo can be seen the shaped wooden forms used to hold the cylinders in place whilst being filled.

LF

post-63666-0-85542700-1406895255_thumb.j

With reference to post # 2203, here is a much clearer photograph of the 25th Cyclist Battalion's Maxim machine gun carriers. The photo caption in post # 2203 refers to these vehicles as being converted from taxi-cab chassis.

The photo is full of excellent details not just of the vehicles, but also the soldier's uniforms and kit, and their weapons which include the Maxim machine gun and ammunition boxes, and the soldier's stowed Lee-Enfield ' Long Lee ' rifles.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-22639600-1406896612_thumb.j

Two photographs of the same Austin-Peerless Armoured Car, one is an original photograph and the other was published in a Dublin newspaper, showing an Austin-Peerless Armoured Car's use in Ireland during the Irish ' Troubles '.

The Dublin newspaper photo caption refers to the uniformed soldiers as the " Imperial British Army in Ireland ", which look to be ' Black & Tans ' rather than being from any regular British Regiment, and the " Ununiformed Auxiliaries " called ' Cadets ', both are armed with British Webley revolvers.

The Austin-Peerless armoured car, is armed with Hotchkiss machine guns.

LF

post-63666-0-60125200-1406983914_thumb.j

post-63666-0-52690800-1406984015_thumb.j

During WW1, several American motorcar manufacturers designed and built armoured cars hoping to win lucrative contracts from the War Department, here is another one-off armoured car, the sleek ' Standard 8 ' designed and built by the Standard Steel Car Company of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Pittsburg, being the centre of the American steel industry.

LF

post-63666-0-24793400-1407065692_thumb.j

Looks a bit confined inside it! Was it one or two man operated I wonder?

David

Looks a bit confined inside it! Was it one or two man operated I wonder?

David

David,

Here is another photograph of the Standard 8 Armoured Car, which answers your question, in that it appears to have been a one man operated vehicle. However, this photograph also raises some questions, as we can see in the attached photograph that the machine gun turret has been removed, and now also shows the driver. Also, this photo and that shown in post # 2213 seem to be a WW1 era examples of ' photoshopping ' with some of the bystanders having been added to or removed from both versions of the photographs.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-84113300-1407159998_thumb.j

David,

Here is another photograph of the Standard 8 Armoured Car, which answers your question, in that it appears to have been a one man operated vehicle. However, this photograph also raises some questions, as we can see in the attached photograph that the machine gun turret has been removed, and now also shows the driver. Also, this photo and that shown in post # 2213 seem to be a WW1 era examples of ' photoshopping ' with some of the bystanders having been added to or removed from both versions of the photographs.

Regards,

LF

I think looking as the second photo, there must have been room for a driver, directly in front of the chap now visible. Presumably the driver got his visibility from the 'window' just above the spare wheel, and the man on show looked after the MG. Having said that - where would the drivers legs go assuming the front end is full of engine?! No good if you were claustrophobic!

David

I think looking as the second photo, there must have been room for a driver, directly in front of the chap now visible. Presumably the driver got his visibility from the 'window' just above the spare wheel, and the man on show looked after the MG. Having said that - where would the drivers legs go assuming the front end is full of engine?! No good if you were claustrophobic!

David

I think the ' turret ' was merely a 3-sided shield, with room behind the shield for the gunner to work.

Perhaps, the long bonnet had room both for the engine, and the driver's legs, with the driver sitting in front of the gunner and using the viewing hatch on the right, that way the Standard 8 would have been a 2 man vehicle.

Regards,

LF

Army Service Corps mechanics at an ASC Motor Transport Depot workshop, replacing the body on a repaired and renovated ' Sunbeam ' Army Staff Car.

LF

post-63666-0-84113500-1407248328_thumb.j

This Dennis A-Type lorry having been repaired at the 2nd ASC Motor Transport Depot at Chantiers ( near Dunkirk ) in Northern France, is loaded with 2 weighted ' Test Crates ' for road testing before being re-issued.

LF

post-63666-0-72698800-1407325515_thumb.j

Hello Lancashire Fusilier

Good work on the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade - you have included a couple images which I have not seen before. If interested, I have some additional material on the Brigade and the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery to which my late Grandfather was attached. Some material should be available through a search of this forum and other material is available directly.

Regards

Borden Battery

Hello Lancashire Fusilier

Good work on the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade - you have included a couple images which I have not seen before. If interested, I have some additional material on the Brigade and the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery to which my late Grandfather was attached. Some material should be available through a search of this forum and other material is available directly.

Regards

Borden Battery

Borden Battery,

Many thanks for the post, and I am pleased to hear that you found the presentation on the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade interesting, I shall also be sending you a PM regarding your other material on the Brigade.

Regards,

LF

This Leyland A-Type lorry having been repaired at the 2nd ASC Motor Transport Depot at Chantiers ( near Dunkirk ) in Northern France, is loaded with 2 weighted ' Test Crates ' for road testing before being re-issued.

LF

I think that if you look closer, L.F., you will see that this is a Dennis - not a Leyland!

I think that if you look closer, L.F., you will see that this is a Dennis - not a Leyland!

Minesweeper,

You are perfectly correct, the Dennis A-Type lorry has the distinctive 2 cut-outs on the side of the radiator ( as shown in post # 2219 ) rather than the single cut-out on the side of the radiator as on a Leyland A-Type lorry.

Also, the top of the Leyland A-Type bonnet is curved, whereas the top of the Dennis A-Type bonnet is chamfered ( angled ).

Thanks for the correction, and I shall edit the post accordingly.

Regards,

LF

The ' Dennis A-Type ' lorry with the double cut-outs on the side of the radiator and the chamfered ( angled ) top to the bonnet, and the ' Leyland ' A-Type lorry with the single cut-out on the side of the radiator and the rounded top to the bonnet.

LF

post-63666-0-97585600-1407379759_thumb.j

post-63666-0-32836500-1407379775_thumb.j