Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

L/Cpl Dunnford of 4th SOMLI and his Thornycroft Truck. Also his drivers permit, permanent pass and 2 MT patch( 2nd MT Coy)

detail

post-11424-0-48849100-1398521769_thumb.j

post-11424-0-60268000-1398521842_thumb.j

L/Cpl Dunnford of 4th SOMLI and his Thornycroft Truck. Also his drivers permit, permanent pass and 2 MT patch( 2nd MT Coy)

Mark,

What a great group of items, and that is the first Military Motor Vehicles Driver's License and MT Pass I have seen, did they contain the holder's photo and other details ?

Also, that is an excellent photo of the rarely seen early Thornycroft lorry with the spoked wheels.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Herewith a picture of the inside of the driver permit and his permanent pass. The photo of the truck is taken from an original negative I found in a photo wallet that was with his pass.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-86948800-1398525954_thumb.j

Permanent pass

post-11424-0-13196100-1398526022_thumb.j

Permanent pass

Mark,

Again, a great set, and probably quite rare as such, and I am sure many of the members will be very interested to see them.

It is interesting that the Military Driver's License was renewed on a monthly basis, and I particularly like his permission to be absent when not on duty ' from Reveille to 1 am '.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

L/Cpl Dunnford of 4th SOMLI and his Thornycroft Truck.

Mark,

Do you know where he was stationed ? or where the photograph with the Thornycroft lorry was taken ?

Regards,

LF

LF,

I think he was stationed at Rawalpindi in India I assume the phot was taken at the same place.

regards

Mark

I think he was stationed at Rawalpindi in India I assume the phot was taken at the same place.

Mark,

Yes, Rawalpindi as shown on his Military Driver's License, thanks for the info.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-73471500-1398551847_thumb.j

Interesting photo, it's not the usual J Type, looks to be the smaller X Type of BT

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/thornycroft/lorries/models-1919-1926/type-bt.htm

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/thornycroft/lorries/models-1919-1926/type-x.htm

Fortunately, at least one of each of these survives

Hi,

I've just found this excellent thread. The variety of vehicles included is very interesting.

I especially like the photos of the Tanks and Austin Armoured Cars that my Grandad would have been involved with. Grandad 'Jack' Swallow was an electrician and was initially in the workshop at Thetford when he transferred from the Engineers to the Tank Corps. Latter he trained as crew at Bovington in G Battalion and was at Passchendaele and Bourlon Wood. He then transferred to the 17th Armoured Cars Battalion and was at Amiens. He crossed the German border on the 1st December and went into Cologne on 5th December. In Cologne Grandad worked in a big garage maintaining the vehicles, until he was sent to Ireland with the Battalion. I have some info on Grandad's history, as I am fortunate to have a copy of the transcript from his interview with Prof Liddle in Jan 1975, but any additional info is very much appreciated.

I look forward to seeing some vehicle photos, especially any that might include Grandad. Thank you for the photo in posts 1039/1054 of the 17th AC in Cologne. Are there any more photos of the 17th AC in Cologne?

I look forward to seeing some vehicle photos, especially any that might include Grandad. Thank you for the photo in posts 1039/1054 of the 17th AC in Cologne. Are there any more photos of the 17th AC in Cologne?

Pleased to hear you are enjoying this Thread, take a look back over the earlier posts, as there are several relating to the 17th Armoured Car Battalion and I know there will be others still to come.

Regards,

LF

Hello Rover Geo.

Good to hear about your Grandad and his movement through the Army ,very similar to my Dad ,went from the MGC,to Heavy Branch /Tanks with I battalion wounded at Boulon Wood ,returned to England to recover then to the 17th.Armoured Car Battalion, who were involved with many battles on the way to Calogne and then on to Ireland.

The photo in post 1039 was after the arrival in Calogne.

I see that your grandad was with G Battalion at Cambrai , you should take a look at The Tank Men of Cambrai, you will see my Dad listed under I Battalion (sjt.Percy eggs) I think Your grandad should well, be listed with The Tank Men .

You may have seen this of 3 Sjt's at Calogne ? one of them may be your Grandad.

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-82447600-1398600600_thumb.j

Some stunning motorcycle pictures. What sort of speed and MPG would be achived?

As far as the Clyno 750 cc motorcycle Vickers machine gun combination is concerned, the most often quoted maximum speed I have seen is 50 mph.

For the MPG, I have seen nothing specific, with quotes ranging from 30 - 60 mpg ? quite a range.

Here is a photo of the Clyno motorcycle machine gun combination, this superbly restored example is on display in the National Motorcycle Museum.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-05998400-1398601905_thumb.j

Hi LF,

I've had a quick look through the many interesting posts and so far I have found 11 posts of the 17th Austin Armoured Cars. I plan to check through my Grandad's history folder, currently with my sister, and hope to find some photos of motors to add to this thread.

Hi CR,

There does seem to be many similarities between your Dad's history with that of my Grandad. Are there any references to my Grandad in your Dad's interesting family history autograph book (my Grandad also had an interest in art and he painted several water colour landscapes after his retirement).

Grandad was a Private, so I don't think he is in your photo, but it looks like double garage doors on the right hand side of the building behind the AC, which might have been the garage workshop where my Grandad worked to maintain the 17th vehicles. I noticed that the men are relaxing with a cigarette, and this reminded me that my Grandad always seemed to have a Capstan Full Strength on the go in the corner of his mouth.

The photo in post 1039 has about 100 men, which is much more than 8 x ACs with a crew of 4. Do you know if there were a support group who travelled with the ACs (Grandad mentioned in his interview transcription that he worked in a garage workshop in Cologne - please PM me if you would like to see this transcription)? There appears to be several other vehicles (motorbikes and lorries) and uniforms (some men wearing jodhpurs), so were there might be other Battalions in the photo. Have you thought of including this photo in the 17th (Armoured Car) Battalion, Tank Corp thread in the Unit section of this forum?

George

Following the Armistice, a British Anti-Aircraft Gun mounted on a Peerless lorry, and followed by a Peerless support truck, is seen leading a military convoy crossing the road bridge over the River Rhine, South of the Hohenzollern railway bridge, at Bayenthal, which was a northern suburb of Cologne on the left bank of the Rhine.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-60172300-1398685196_thumb.j

I plan to check through my Grandad's history folder, currently with my sister, and hope to find some photos of motors to add to this thread.

It would be interesting to see any new photos of the 17th AC Battalion, and I knew you would have a lot of shared interest in the 17th AC with member Crimson Rambler.

Regards,

LF

Came across this. Gives width of drive belt.

johnboy,

Thanks for the info, and spare belts were carried, often secured to the back of the motorcycle, and I have also seen them on the handlebars, and around the frame.

Regards,

LF

post-99311-0-06184900-1398771563_thumb.j

This gives wheel size and tyre size and magneto start.

Back on 10th December, 2013, post # 951, I had posted a sepia photograph ( detail attached ) of a 13 pdr. Anti-Aircraft Gun mounted on a Thornycroft lorry, asking for any details on this photograph, location, dates, etc., I have since found two originals of that same photo, confirming that the photograph was taken during the fighting in Lievin, a small town in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of Northern France on 16th May, 1918. Lievin is S.W. of Lille, and was close to the fierce fighting around Vimy Ridge.

LF

IWM6618 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-95125400-1398772562_thumb.j

post-63666-0-54742700-1398772589_thumb.j

post-63666-0-68464900-1398772622_thumb.j

Whilst not photographs of vehicles, the following photos are meant to accompany post # 1769 and illustrate other happenings which took place in the town of Lievin during the heavy fighting in and around Lievin during May 1918, at the same time the mobile Anti-Aircraft Gun was in action in the town.

The first photo shows British Signalling Officers posted up a water tower in Lievin, note the shrapnal holes in the tower. The photo is dated 16th May, 1918.

LF

IWM7880 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-48343800-1398782813_thumb.j

As protection against German snipers, a camouflaged screen was erected beside a pathway linking the town of Lievin with the nearby town of Lens. The screened pathway, followed what was previously the main road between the two towns.

LF

IWM6627 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-16080000-1398783421_thumb.j

This photograph shows a sentry on duty in Lievin, he is from the 2nd Battalion Cameronians ( Scottish Rifles ). Next to him, and again due to the danger of German snipers, is a sign warning " no one is allowed past this point in daylight ". The photograph is dated 16th May, 1918.

LF

IWM6621 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-36555900-1398783866_thumb.j

johnboy,

Thanks for the info, and spare belts were carried, often secured to the back of the motorcycle, and I have also seen them on the handlebars, and around the frame.

Here is a photograph of a Signals Corps. Despatch Rider with a carrier pigeon basket on his back, riding a Triumph motorcycle with the spare rear-wheel drive belt wound around the handlebars.

The photo was taken during the fighting in and around Bullecourt, a small village in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of Northern France situated between Arras and Bapaume.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07634900-1398859431_thumb.j