Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Vincenzo Lancia at the wheel of a Fiat ' Targa '. Prior to founding his Lancia motor company, Vincenzo Lancia had been a racing driver for Fiat.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-14125300-1397737034_thumb.j

LF just for the record ,re my post 1682 The Armoured at the Barracks at Ennis Co.Clare I have managed to get the negative the correct way round .

Some good shots of the Lancia AC.

Regards

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-77397700-1397815112_thumb.j

An Italian Lancia-Ansaldo IZ Armoured Car, alongside an Italian mounted unit.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-75175100-1397821269_thumb.j

American troops with their Lancia-Ansaldo IZM Armoured Car, several of which were issued to the American Army in Europe.

LF

post-63666-0-38120800-1397826327_thumb.j

The Italian Lancia-Ansaldo IZ Armoured Car, giving us a glimpse of the Armoured Car's interior.

LF

post-63666-0-81902900-1397841753_thumb.j

A photo of an Italian Lancia-Ansaldo IZ Armoured Car which illustrates how the car's 3 machine guns, mounted in its 2 turrets, can be positioned in any one direction to provide concentrated and formidable firepower in that particular direction.

LF

post-63666-0-45055900-1397845449_thumb.j

While researching the Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank, I read an amazing story regarding the heroism of a young Lieutenant aged just 23 years 7 months, who whilst serving as a ' Whippet ' Tank Commander, gave his life while saving a member of his tank crew, having already saved the lives of the entire crew of another Whippet tank which had overturned in a shell hole, and for his heroic actions and sacrifice, Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Here is Lieutenant Sewell's Victoria Cross Citation, published in the London Gazette on Wednesday 30th October 1918.

" When in command of a section of Whippet Light Tanks in action this officer displayed most conspicuous bravery and initiative in getting out of his own tank and crossing open ground under heavy shell and machine-gun fire to rescue the crew of another Whippet of his section which had side-slipped into a shell-hole, overturned and taken fire. The door of the tank having become jammed against the side of the shell-hole. Lieutenant Sewell, by his own unaided efforts dug away the entrance to the door and released the crew. In doing so he undoubtedly saved the lives of the officer and men inside the tank, as they could not have got out without assistance. After having extricated the crew, seeing one of his own crew lying wounded behind his tank he again dashed across the open ground to his assistance. He was hit in doing so, but succeeded in reaching the tank, when a few minutes later he was again hit, fatally in the act of dressing his wounded driver. During the whole period he was within full view and short range of the enemy machine guns and rifle pits and throughout, by his prompt and heroic action showed an utter disregards for his own personal safety. "

Not only is the bravery of this young Lieutenant astounding, but when you read the story of his whole family, including his 55 year old Father and his 4 brothers who also enlisted and fought in WW1, the story is even more astounding.

Here is the story of Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell, V.C. and his family from an excellent article written by a Stephen and Susan Cocks.

Lieutenant Cecil Sewell, V.C., and the Sacrifice of a Greenwich Family

" Harry Sewell, was born around 1860 and brought up in Greenwich. Following in his father’s footsteps, Harry began work as a Railway Clerk. He was ambitious and, by 1901, he had qualified as a solicitor and had his own office employing others. He was married to Mary and they had 5 sons and 4 daughters. When war broke out in 1914, Harry, the eldest son, was Deputy Coroner for Kent , Herbert was a barrister at law and Cecil was in the process of following the family tradition and was studying for a career in Law.

The war changed all of this, all five brothers enlisted, together with their father who was aged 55. Harry senior joined the Royal Army Medical Corp on 13th December 1915. He served in the Balkans and later in Mesopotamia. He survived the war and lived to the age of 82 years having retired to Worthing where he died in 1941, his wife Mary having died at Greenwich age 69 in 1928. Lieutenant Frank Sewell, who served in The Royal Garrison Artillery, and Corporal Leonard Sewell, who served in The Honourable Artillery Company, also both survived the fighting.

Harry, Herbert and Cecil all died, the latter in an act of bravery for which he was awarded The Victoria Cross.

Second Lieutenant Henry Sewell served in The Royal Field Artillery and lost his life in November 1916 as the Battle of the Somme was ending, after five months of fighting that had seen the demise of so many young men. Henry’s body was never found and he is commemorated on The Thiepval Memorial. Lieutenant Harry Sewell served in The Queens Own Royal Field Artillery 21st Battery in Mesopotamia; he was invalided home due to illness and died in August 1917. Harry’s funeral was held at St Alphege Church Greenwich and he is buried in Charlton Cemetery.

Cecil, the youngest son, served in 3rd Light Tank Battalion and died one year and 9 days after Harry died. He enlisted in the 21st Royal Fusiliers, Machine Gun Section, and served with them briefly in France before gaining a commission in the Royal West Kent (Queen’s Own) Regiment; he was then posted as a Lieutenant to C Battalion, Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps (forerunners of the Tank Corps), where he served in Whippet Tanks.

He died saving his men and won the VC for this gallant action at Frémicourt, near Bapaume, France, on August 29, 1918. One can only imagine the grief of Mary Ann Sewell and her daughters in the family home as the news of the third death was received. Their grief must have been mixed with fears for the safety of the last sons and their father.

Cecil Harold’s VC is recorded in the London Gazette of 30th October 1918. In 1920 his remains were removed from Bapaume, where he was buried in 1918, and moved to Vaulx Hill Cemetery at Vaulx-Vraucourt.

His parents received his VC, which was presented at Buckingham Palace by King George V on 13th December 1918.

Lieutenant C. H. Sewell's Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank, and his Victoria Cross are both on display at the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset.

LF

Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell, V.C., Born 27th January 1895 - died 29th August 1918.

post-63666-0-20976600-1397906885_thumb.j

Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell, V.C.

His Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank A259 ' Caesar II ' on display at the Bovington Tank Museum.

LF

post-63666-0-83956200-1397907146_thumb.j

The commemorative plaque attached to Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell's Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank A259 ' Caesar II ' on display at the Bovington Tank Museum.

LF

post-63666-0-87931800-1397907335_thumb.j

Lieutenant Cecil Harold Sewell, V.C., his grave at Vaulx Hill Cemetery at Vaulx-Vraucourt. :poppy:

LF

post-63666-0-42460400-1397907567_thumb.j

An update to post # 1658 which showed British Medium Mark A Tanks being used by the Japanese Army in Manchuria, I have since found that these were not ' Whippets ' captured from the Russians, but were in fact part of the shipment of 6 ' Whippet ' tanks sold to the Imperial Japanese Army by the British Government at the end of WW1.

LF

An extremely interesting photograph of a British Medium Mark A ' Whippet ' Tank, which could be out of action ?

German troops are seen resting/sheltering under the front of the tank, and appear to still have their rifles, so they are not prisoners. To the left of the front of the tank are two British officers, who look to be wounded. One is wearing a Brodie helmet, and the other appears to be wearing a German helmet ?

Does anyone know anything about this photo ?

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Detail from the photograph.

post-63666-0-78157400-1397997699_thumb.j

post-63666-0-15317200-1397997805_thumb.j

Another detail from the photograph, could this be a deceased ' Whippet ' crew member, killed in action ?

LF

post-63666-0-60028100-1398001555_thumb.j

An intriguing photo which I don't recall seeing before. At fist sight I thought they had to be all British, but I'm still not sure. Clearly there are two officers, presumably wounded hence the way they both use sticks and the one in the Brodie appears to have his arm in a sling of sorts?

The awkwardly worn German helmet suggested to me its a newly acquired trophy of a recent engagement, and at first I thought the man reclining, third from left was wearing a 'trophy' German cap, but as I say, I'm not at all sure what's going on. The rifle lying on the ground looks German - and the chap on his back in the centre does look possibly dead which again just does not fit with the otherwise relaxed impression given...

David

An intriguing photo which I don't recall seeing before. At fist sight I thought they had to be all British, but I'm still not sure.

David

David,

The soldier lying down bottom left, looks very relaxed and is wearing German boots ?

Regards,

LF

It's a shame you don't have the wider picture as there is clearly more going on off camera to the right - note the rifles with bayonets attached propped against the side of the tank.

It's a shame you don't have the wider picture as there is clearly more going on off camera to the right - note the rifles with bayonets attached propped against the side of the tank.

I can't see them.

There's one behind the pile of equipment on the ground to the front of the tank and what I took to be a second further down the same side, almost out of camera. Looking at it closer maybe it's not a rifle?

I saw what appears to be a rifle between the two men in the foreground but no others.

It's a shame you don't have the wider picture.

David,

That is the extent of the photo I have panning right.

The scattered pile of belongings on the ground to the right, it what you often see when a captured or abandoned tank is searched or gone through looking either for intelligence, personal items or both.

Regards,

LF

I saw what appears to be a rifle between the two men in the foreground but no others.

johnboy,

Looks like 2 other rifles, leaning against the side of the tank.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-20477500-1398012964_thumb.j

Now I've put my screen magnification back to 100% I can see the whole picture! They do look like rifles.

Bottom left PIE? DIE?

Centre M-CAL

That's about it.

Bottom left PIE? DIE?

Centre M-CAL

That's about it.

johnboy,

Here is an enlargement, which looks to be written in German ?

As you said, bottom left ' Die ', hopefully someone can make out the rest.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-81185100-1398038084_thumb.j